90D - distance & cold challenge

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Rob Lay, Dec 21, 2017.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Rob Lay

Rob Lay Administrator Staff Member

tomorrow morning we're using the 90D to go 440 miles to Kansas where it will be down to 12 degrees end of the weekend. I will keep this thread updated how the trip goes there and back.

Domenick likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Pushmi-Pullyu

Pushmi-Pullyu Well-Known Member

I hope you can keep your Model S plugged in overnight wherever you stop for the night, even if it's by using an extension cord plugged into a standard 110v outlet. That will let the battery's heater keep the pack warm overnight, preserving as much range as possible.

4. Rob Lay

Yes, we're going the full distance 1 day, but will have 110's at destination.

5. Rob Lay

8:30 AM: we're off in pouring rain and icy roads northern Oklahoma, typical Christmas holiday travel. :). at least we have the AWD. do love all the front and rear trunk space, no way we could pack dog, Kansas bags, and all my hunting stuff for after Kansas gun, bow, and equipment.

IMG_5369.JPG

we're starting with 288 mile range, we expect that to go way down little regenerative braking and highway speeds, we'll see. Unfortunately our perfect midpoint is between two superchargers OKC 190 miles and Perry 250 miles with 440 mile total trip. To make it one stop we will need to make Perry, otherwise we'll do two shorter charges OKC and Wichita.

IMG_5366.JPG

Domenick likes this.
  6. Rob Lay

9:30 AM (1 Hour/66 miles): The Tesla range calculator is way off. I realize it is use to the city driving with regenerative braking and lower speeds, but first hour we have gone 66 miles, but used up 108 miles on range. It will be interesting the next hour if it has corrected itself or still 40% off.

Some good news though, the rain and icing has shifted east of our route going north.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Rob Lay

10:40 AM: we just did a 40 minute super charge. It added 115 miles in the 40 minutes. It charges pretty fast until the last 20%. Appears on the highway and cold getting about 65% efficiency, that's why actual appears about 40% less than estimated range. So realistically our 90D on highway and cold is about 180 mile range. We're now looking at 2 more Supercharger stops.

IMG_5371.JPG

IMG_5373.JPG

IMG_5374.JPG

9. This drop in range for cold weather/highway use is why I think 100 kWh still too small, ultimately. Would like to see a 125-150 kWh option eventually.

10. Rob Lay

so range in these cold temps is 180 miles, which makes this a 3 stop trip although one of those will just be a quick 10 minutes. the superchargers between Dallas and where we are going Kansas are located Ardmore, OKC, Perry, and Wichita. Dallas to OKC was 190 miles, which forced us to charge Ardmore, which then forces us to charge Perry and since 190 miles Perry to Kansas destination that requires a quick 10 minute Wichita charge. All we needed was 10 miles either side and it could have made it 2 stop. :D

Domenick likes this.
  11. That seems to be a lot bigger range hit than I imagined. Your original 288-mile estimate is close to what others have been getting with the Model S, though I suppose in milder weather. What's your average highway speed?

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Rob Lay

Charge in Perry 50 minutes, up to 261 mile range.

IMG_5375.JPG

Domenick likes this.
  14. Rob Lay

Quick 15 minute charge in Wichita and then we'll be home free. Actually just need 20 miles and this will give us about 80 miles.

Strange, but first used station next to X and was only getting half a charge. Strange they are paired up like that. Went one down and a good 352 mi/hr.

IMG_5378.JPG

Domenick likes this.
  15. Rob Lay

Sorry, we made it awhile ago. Final stats...

440 miles total
    8.5 hours (typical ICE trip 7 hours)
    1:45 total charging

It was slower, but Tesla handles interstate nice and we had all that room. We need to try this summer and I bet we could do it one stop.

Mom's 110 at old house just charging 4 miles hour, but she can take to supercharge station in town tomorrow.

Domenick likes this.
  16. Rob Lay

So it is closer to 280 in town and warmer weather. Highway speeds no braking along with cold brought it down to 66% efficiency. Tesla says in really cold like we'll have Monday going home efficiency could be 50%.

Domenick likes this.
  17. Rob Lay

Headed back this morning will stay at Oklahoma land a couple days. 365 miles total which if there was supercharge in perfect place midpoint we would only have one stop, but because of the distances stations Wichita, Perry, and Ardmore we have to stop all 3. Only Perry will we require a full charge though.

We had about 65% efficiency at 30 degrees, so we'll see what it is this morning at 18. At least little traffic on Christmas morning and we're leaving with snow on the ground. Only Mia's 2nd white Christmas.

IMG_5408.jpg

Domenick likes this.
  18. Rob Lay

Charging in Wichita, only need about 30 miles at 65% efficiency to safely make Perry, but whatever we charge here is less we have to charge in Perry. 26 degrees.

Domenick likes this.
  19. Rob Lay

We stopped hour in Perry for full charge having lunch. We're now at Ardmore charging up 20 minutes before another 20 miles to our land. We can hook up to 110 there in barn. Efficiency didn't seen worse in 20 degrees than it did 32 degrees. Actually from Perry to here I slowed down to 72 mph and efficiency improved a bunch. Seems like difference between 72 and 80 a bunch for efficiency.

20. Ah, there's your problem! There's a huge difference between 72 and 80.

Rob Lay likes this.