Price paid, plus dealer info

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by JKroll, Feb 16, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. kpan

kpan New Member

White 2018 Honda Clarity Base. MSRP price $34,290, dealer sale price is down under $30,000. OTD price is $32,200.
    In Maryland, I should get $7500 federal incentive and $1700 state incentive back.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ace base

ace base Member

Clarity Touring Solar Silver 33.6k + the = 36,800 OTD
    DCH Honda San Diego, no fuss quote via email, no further changes at the store.
    Declined all options, will buy D82 8yr/120k extended warranty from Curry Honda approx 1,700

4. kratos

kratos New Member

Paid $35.1k OTD (including all fees, registration and title, 2k+ state tax) for Touring model with bunch of dealer installed options(they call it as protection package).I am driving the car for 2 weeks now. No issues with car so far. I wouldn't recommend Black leathers seats though as they are observing too much heat than other premium cars i drove in similar weather conditions

Update: Me and my friend visited multiple dealers to buy the same car for couple of days and noticed the price varying from 35k to 38k across the dealers.One of the dealer told us that Honda is offering around 2k dealer incentive for selected dealers for financing with Honda for 0.9APR with no prepayment penalty. This may be the reason for the difference. He was able to close the deal for 35.2K OTD. Definitely, it is worth trying multiple dealers

5. 626

626 New Member

Which dealership did you get your vehicle (sales guy name too if you wouldn't mind). So far in Dallas, they are quoting me out the door prices around $37000. Willing to drive out further to pick up a Clarity if the prices are that much cheaper.

6. kelmac

kelmac New Member

I haven't heard of the "mass energy green drive program". Would you mind sharing the name of the RI dealer that offered this? Also, which Massachusetts dealer did you wind up buying from?

Thanks in advance

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. AaD

AaD Member

https://www.massenergy.org/drivegreen

The RI dealer was Saccucci.

Our dealer was Boch Honda West in Westford, whom I can't say I reccomend, but are local for us.

It looks like a few other MA posters on this thread have gotten quotes down under 30k for the base model from various Boston area dealers. With the added 2500 MA rebate on top of the federal tax incentive that's a pretty good deal - we're loving the car so far.

Johnhaydev likes this.
  9. Mel

Mel New Member

Anyone buy here in Florida that can give me an idea of what we can expect to pay for the base or the touring model? thanks

10. FlaDave

FlaDave New Member

I’ve been checking with a bunch of dealerships in South Florida. Best I’ve found for a base model is $31,166 + tax, doc, tag, and dealer fee.

Mel likes this.
  11. SethR

SethR New Member

Leased a Touring 2 weeks ago, final price was $29,400 additionally NY has a 'Drive Clean Rebate' which the Clarity qualifies for $1,700 given at time of sale/lease... so the real final price was $27,700! Great deal

Johnhaydev likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Mel

Mel New Member

Best I got for the base model is $31,546 + $900 in dealer installed accessories, plus dealer fees and tax/ tags

14. I feel lucky that most people do not understand the extreme value of this vehicle, but at the same time it is sad that you don't see more of these on the road. I've been on the wall for awhile and I finally was able to work my local dealer down significantly on price. I did feel bad when they told me that this is the first Clarity Plug in thy had sold even though they had at least ten in stock since March. The all electric model on the other hand has been selling as fast as they can stock it. Anyhow below is a breakdown on how I did for reference for others.

Dealer: Lancaster Honda (California)

Model: Honda Clarity Plug in Hybrid Touring

MSRP: $37490

Negotiated Price: $33500 (-$3990)

Document fee: $80

Sales Tax: $3190 (California)

State DMV: $461 (California)

Tire Fee: $8.75

Final OTD: $37239.75

15. Got my white Clarity base for $31000 in Los Angeles/San Gabriel Valley area (include destination, before tax and $80 doc free) and 0.90% financing.
    Almost all other dealers quoted me about $31400 with financing (they get $1000 dealer cash from manufacturer) over online quote without negotiation.
    The dealer, when arrived on site, did try to add $230 dealer installed paint protection (don't even know what that is) but I insisted no.

The salesman told me it's not selling before March, but it started moving since then. They had 5 white base Clarity the week before when I asked them for the quote, and when I picked up on July 4, it's the 2nd last they had in stock.

If you're leasing, the dealer, not you, is going to get that $7500 federal tax credits, so make sure you discount that into your calculation.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  16. kelmac

kelmac New Member

I am so glad that I found your post while I was doing my research. I hadn't heard anything about Mass Drive Green even though our municipal electric company has been sponsoring Drive Electric Events in our town and heavily promoting the Federal and State tax credits. They are also offering a free level II charger. You just have to pay to have it installed. The more I think about it the more it perplexes me. It has me wondering if they somehow feel they are in competition with the Mass Green Drive incentive.

17. su_A_ve

su_A_ve Active Member

Will be taking the plunge in a few weeks at most but probably before the end of the month. So far, best number has been Costco. 29300 including $300 of overpriced "protection package" (splash guards, wheel locks, trunk tray - I'd take all weather mats instead), plus tax/title/doc fee (399). This includes the current $1500 finance incentive and would do it at 0.9 for 60 months. Wonder if I can do better though...

Thought about leasing. But the couple of dealers I talked seems they won't combine the 1500 dealer finance incentive (which is also good for leases) and the 6900 captive lease incentive. Even if they would, the money factor is ok (0.00071) but residual is awful (44%). Which NJ had additional rebates though...

18. FlaDave

FlaDave New Member

After negotiating for a base model for a few weeks, I finally came to a number with a dealership in South Florida. When going over the numbers with the finance manager, they realized that they had miscalculated the tax using NC rate (3%) instead of FL rate (6% + 1% county). Dealer agreed to reduce the price by half of the additional tax. Final price was was $30,6XX, plus dealer fee, tax, and tag. Happy to finally have the car!

19. Atkinson

Atkinson Active Member

We got our White Clarity base for 30,255, but others have done better.
    Drive Green has pre-negotiated prices for Mass residents (use for a baseline)

Dealer Location Model Year MSRP Discount Dealer Price After Discount
    Lundgren Honda of Auburn Auburn, MA 2018 $34,295 $4,387 $29,908
    Saccucci Honda Middletown, RI 2018 $34,295 $4,040 $30,255
    Honda Cars of Boston Everett, MA 2018 $34,295 $4,040 $30,255

20. parhelia

parhelia New Member

Do you mind sharing the name of the dealership/salesman? Same here in dfw, where the dealers aren't willing to go more than 1000 less from MSRP.

Kailani likes this.
  21. Atkinson

Atkinson Active Member

We had the same experience with dealers not discounting.
    Kept trying other dealers.
    In my case, I wanted one close by instead of the Drive Green dealers listed above.
    One interesting case was a dealership that would only discount $500 and they asked why I offered $30K, did you use a car pricing service...
    I asked what a car pricing service was and she said "you know, like trucar.com".
    I never heard of it so I checked it out that night and the price came out to $31K at THAT dealership.
    So, don't give up, the dealerships are just testing you.

qtpie likes this.
  22. su_A_ve

su_A_ve Active Member

I think it's depending on market. Here in central NJ, I have access to probably a good 10-15 dealers in a 30 miles radius. Costco pricing has been by far the best. I was able to get pricing from two dealers and both came at 29,300 plus doc fees/tax/title. This does include the dealer options, but differ in what they include.

One included a 380 price protection package consisting of trunk tray, wheel locks and mud guards. The other 1850 consisting of invisible fabric and paint protection, some other crap, window etching, door guards and wheel locks. Obviously inflated crap but it comes down to the same number.

A third dealer that covers some part of PA, had a Costco price of 3150. Other non-Costco dealers were in the 30500 to 32000. All these before fees/tax/title.

23. Atkinson

Atkinson Active Member

After the initial price, probably need to start a separate thread on how to navigate the $7500 credit with new tax forms this year.
    Other credits and deductions are changing and that will skew tax liability estimates for a non-accountant like myself.
    Invitation for someone to help who has early information on 2018 tax code and forms.