Who in Canada is waiting for the Clarity

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by iluvscuba, May 29, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Atul Thakkar

Atul Thakkar Active Member

Did not submitted rebate application for charger yet though..

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Jason

Jason New Member

I see. My dealer is actually submitting the application on my behalf and applying the rebate directly as the down payment. Not all dealers do it but Ottawa Honda does. There's a few sections of the form relating to individual submission or dealer submission. My understanding is the application cannot be submitted until the car is received, correct? I'm assuming you all received your cars before submitting the application?

4. Cliffie

Cliffie New Member

I've just declined a Red Touring at Midtown Honda - June 28th. You could try there

5. MarkClarity

MarkClarity Active Member

Ottawa Honda added two Tourings 694/733 to cargurus.com

6. Jason

Jason New Member

Thanks for this. 694 is gray so hopefully that's mine!

rickyrsx likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Akinto

Akinto Member

Mine arrived last night on a flatbed trailer. It left three days earlier from the dealer in Rouyn Noranda. But it's here, and it's lovely.

rickyrsx and Hobbesgsr like this.
  9. Phunny

Phunny Member

Thanks. Just curious, how did they react to your cancellation?

10. Cliffie

Cliffie New Member

they are not too happy - not sure if they've found another buyer - but time is of the essence, in case the provincial rebate gets cancelled

11. Mikep00

Mikep00 Active Member

Service Ontario would have no idea anything about the rebate. That person was talking out of their butt.

As long as you have you rebate application submitted prior to the program getting cancelled you don’t have to worry.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

rickyrsx and Phunny like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. prestoOne

prestoOne Member

The sales guy might not have been happy but I was not able to buy the car because it was accounted for. Another salesman may have gotten the commission.
    If anyone else is about to cancel in Southern Ontario and a car is about to be there please let me know before hand and I can present myself as the new buyer if it is OK with you. They may let me buy it.

14. Cliffie

Cliffie New Member

The person I've been Emailing with is Thomas Jeon, a manager at Midtown Honda .. I'm not sure if he has not yet updated the records to show the sale as cancelled/ or hoping I will change my mind / or they truly have sold it to someone else...
    2018 Honda Clarity Plug-In Touring
    Color: Red
    VIN# JHMZC5F32JC800651

Original salesperson was : Serge Stanojevic but I think he is not normally a salesman.

15. rickyrsx

rickyrsx Active Member

So you submitted the application yourself? The dealer doesn’t do it, is that right? I’m still waiting for delivery but the dealer said it should be soon.

16. rickyrsx

rickyrsx Active Member

How can there be no guarantee for funds when the program has not even been cancelled yet? It was not part of the Green Fund announcement so as far as the public is concerned, this is still a live government program, is it not?

Phunny likes this.
  17. Phunny

Phunny Member

Especially true for dealers. Once the rebate cancellation is announced, it seems possible that new agreements will suddenly not be allowed. The dealers are going to be holding inventory which will be much more difficult to sell.

18. GV Ottawa

GV Ottawa Member

Yes I submitted myself as I ended up buying my car from a dealer just outside of Quebec City. My original order was with Ottawa Honda and I was told by them that I would have to submit the paperwork on my own as well - I was surprised to see Jason comment above that Ottawa Honda would submit on his behalf as that is not what they told me!

In any case, it's not a big deal to fill out the form, scan the various documents required and send in the email. Hopefully my direct deposits will take place in about 3 months or so.

Cheers,
    Gary

19. evjb

evjb New Member

While I don't deny that Service Ontario person might be spiteful when she told me that since it was the day of the swearing in ceremony when I called, but it doesn't diminish the stress I've had to go through trying to get this unicorn.

1) March 6 Ordered the car thinking it'd be here by April
    2) April comes and no car, had to make temporary arrangements for a substitute for the time being
    3) Mid May, told I can upgrade to touring by paying $5200 (4K + tax) and they would do the rebate for me
    4) Early June, no car for me, willing to refund my deposit
    5) Late June, White touring is here miraculously and I have to submit rebate myself now, which isn't the colour or price I originally wanted.

The big draw for me on getting the Clarity was the great range and capacity for around 33K to drive it away. It also came in GREY which is the colour I really wanted.

Then on June 29, I had to decide paying 52K up front and wait 3 months to get the 13K back. As good of a deal as that look on paper, the bump puts me out of my comfort zone and then having to compromise for a colour I didn't want.

I'm sure I'm making a poor financial decision to let go of the Clarity since I ordered it before the March 9th date and that there's no more rebates left, but coming up with an extra 15K isn't easy to do last minute.

Frankly, I shouldn't have to budget for a car and then suddenly come up with an extra 15K on delivery date, call it bad planning on my part for not ordering the Clarity in Nov last year, because I really like the car, but I guess I'll just have to wait for a used one couple of years down the line. I'll be shopping for a used Leaf or i3 or volt until then.

20. Mikep00

Mikep00 Active Member

Everyone in Ontario, print or PDF this Ontario government news release by Doug Ford. He states he will honour all existing orders/contracts for anything being funded by cap and trade as part of his plan to wind down the program.

So I think you are safe letting your 2018 Clarity order be filled with a 2019 vehicle.

Worst case you get a little hassle when submitting the rebate application so late. But you can provide a copy of this new release and a copy of your order from early 2018 as proof and still get your rebate. He seems to imply he is ok paying rebates from general tax dollars if needed to settle things and get everything cancelled and over with.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
    rickyrsx likes this.
  21. Hobbesgsr

Hobbesgsr Active Member

This one? https://news.ontario.ca/opo/en/2018/07/premier-doug-ford-announces-the-end-of-the-cap-and-trade-carbon-tax-era-in-ontario.html

22. MarkClarity

What politicians say does not necessary translate directly to the rules set by the administrators, but instead of getting 6 months to fulfill existing contracts it may be 9 or 12 months. The only issue I see is that the list of qualifying cars does not include the 2019 models, and will that list be frozen at the point of canceling rebates, or will car companies still be able to submit applications for additions to the list?

23. MarkClarity

The June Canadian Clarity delivery numbers are out from Honda. 168 for the month and 588 total for the year. Better numbers and direction from the Jan-May numbers of 76,93,119,73,59.

Now if they can keep up the momentum for July maybe we can get some of our many cars on the list delivered!

rickyrsx likes this.