2018 BMW 530e (Don't Purchase This Car!)

Discussion in 'BMW' started by Jim BMW530e, Mar 20, 2024.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Jim BMW530e

Jim BMW530e New Member

My car is done at just 44,000 miles. Whatever advantage fuel wise that I enjoyed is gone.

The BMW Dealership in Westlake Ohio, nor BMW North America wanted to honor the 8/80 High Voltage Lithium Ion Battery warranty.

I have one cell that needs replaced. That repair was quoted by the dealership at over $6,000. Delaership recommended that I replace the entire hybrid battery pack at a cost of $13,000.
    Should a driver expect to need to pay that kind of money at just 44,000 miles of performance?

I'm basically hosed with and am actively looking to trade my 2018 530e in for anything other that a BMW Hybrid. At this pont I'd take a Pinto. What could possibly be worse than a 530e. Good luck to you all. I will post this to absolutely every forum that has hybrid vehicles discussions.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

The BMW 530e came out in 2017, right? That's less than 8 years ago and you don't have 80K miles on the ODO, so why isn't the battery warranty being honored?

What year is your 530e? Did you buy it new? Are there forums for the 530e where you can determine how common your problem is? Perhaps if there are such forums, you might learn of a non-dealer shop that can fix your bad cell for a much lower cost.

I had the first 2000 Honda Insight hybrid delivered in the midwest. I guess I was lucky the battery didn't go bad because I got a second gen-1 Insight in 2006 and, after 13 years, the battery failed. Fortunately for me, by 2019 there were vendors selling reconditioned battery packs with all new NiMH cells (except for the Tesla Roadster, no Li-Ion EVs yet). I saved thousands of dollars and replaced the battery myself (it weighed only 70 lbs).

Now I'm driving a BMW-designed-and-built MINI Cooper SE. There have been very few reports of battery failures with this car. I suppose it's good that BMW built the MINI with proven components from the BMW i3, but not the battery. The battery is from CATL, it's not the Samsung battery used in the i3.

I hope a member of one of the hybrid forums you visit will have a cost-effective solution that will return your 530e to reliability.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2024
  4. Eric M530e

Eric M530e New Member

I agree. Don’t buy a 530e! I was quoted up to $19k to repair battery in chicago area. These batteries are faulty. Let’s hear more and go for class action.