Vehicle status not updating

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by SameGuy, Mar 11, 2024.

To remove this ad click here.

1. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    I've been travelling for the past eight days, and every so often I check the app, and even if I tried to refresh, the status does not change and shows last updated when I parked it last Monday morning. Now I'm travelling home, and I'm testing every remote function like honking the horn or starting cabin conditioning, and they are failing. Should I be concerned? Do you think my car is still there?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Did you get the 3G sunset update?

4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

If @SameGuy's MINI app updated a week ago, his SE must have received the 3G sunset update, right?

5. teslarati97

Hard to say. If he parked at the YUL airport, there's only 1 Bell cell tower and that uses 4G only (1900MHz & 2100MHz). Honestly I have no idea which carrier BMW/MINI uses!

6. SameGuy

YUL
    I haven't been to the dealership for it, if that's the question. My car was a May 2022 build.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. SameGuy

YUL
    Do the connected services go to sleep after a time?

9. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

There's a forum thread on MINI Connected Services that indicates AT&T 4G SIM.

10. SameGuy

YUL
    I parked in the same spot as always, so I know it gets a signal (not sure how strong, but calls for conditioning fail maybe once out of 25).

My car was where I left it, so first concern belayed. Turning it on, it still had 83% as I left it last Monday morning. So that's the second concern alleviated. Huh.

A pop-up said something about "scheduled conditioning could not be started, in order to protect the battery." Say what? I thought it only does that below 20% or something. And I didn't have conditioning scheduled...

11. teslarati97

Yeah but the OP is in Canada, and there is no AT&T over there.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. SameGuy

YUL
    I haven't found any clues online why it wouldn't do remote features (or even update after I parked it).

14. Puppethead

Have you tried calling 1-866-ASK-MINI (or Canadian equivalent If different)? When I had a problem with my CarPlay being deactivated (due to server glitch) they were very helpful in identifying the issue.

SameGuy likes this.
  15. SameGuy

YUL
    My MINI app took today's major update, and I had last month's minor point update as well. I haven't played with the charging statistics yet, but I did read the eight-page T&C for Connected Services (Canada) — I didn't see a passage saying they'd share driving statistics with outside entities. So what am I looking for in an update?

IMG_3117.png IMG_3118.png

16. teslarati97

Your head unit on the MINI SE get an updated firmware and you lose most of your Bimmercode settings including the much beloved AM radio (have to reprogram it).

17. SameGuy

YUL
    I'm still pretty certain I don't need the 3G EOL update. Got my USB-C Ethernet dongle do I plan to screen-grab every page of every module tomorrow just to be safe. Or maybe spend an afternoon finally learning esys basics so I can backup the FDL files.

18. Rogwp

Rogwp Active Member Subscriber

When Basil went for his new gear stick and charger flap I was told he had a recall for the 3G update, and yes I had to completely re-program him. Our cars are very close contemporaries.

SameGuy likes this.
  19. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I carefully documented every step of Bimmercode programming for my truly beloved AM radio. Soon, I will again get to listen to the Detroit Tigers' baseball games in crackling AM quality--the way it always was and always should be. To me, the broadcasts sound fake on XM and FM, like a new girlfriend Photoshopped into the family Xmas photo without blurring her to match the original photo.

SameGuy, Puppethead and Rogwp like this.
  20. Puppethead

Ooh I should code up AM Radio, I too love baseball on the radio. And the Minnesota Twins are going to be a great team this season.

21. bmartinez028

bmartinez028 Active Member

If the car has not been unlocked since the last time you parked/locked, the app will show that date/time as the latest update. If nothing changes and the car stays locked there will be no further updates until you unlock it. The app only updates on demand if the car is plugged in to a charger from my experience. I have no idea why the remote features would fail. I have only had that happen when trying to precondition from the app more than two times in a row without unlocking the car.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2024
    insightman likes this.
  22. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

Coincidentally, I realized/tested that just yesterday, so can confirm.

23. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

Now a new issue with version 4.3.2 (31362) of the app: state of charge is stuck at (reported as) 100%/charging complete, regardless of the vehicles actual status. Anybody else encountered this?