Door Handle Lock/Unlock Button

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Rickker, Mar 2, 2024.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Just asking if anyone has experienced this issue. When driving my 2019 Ultimate, I always keep the Smartkey in my pocket, and use the door handle lock/unlock button for the purpose intended. However, a couple of months ago, this feature would sometimes not work, and I would have to use the Smartkey to access the car or to lock it. At first, this malfunction only happened on the driver side door, but now happens on both doors. It is an intermittent problem, most of the time it does not work, but maybe 30% of the time it works normally. It may be related to ambient temperature, as when it is very cold it will usually not work, but if the car has been parked in the sun, it usually does. Weird. I am curious if anyone else has experience this issue. Thanks.

Wildeyed likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I had this, or certainly similar symptoms. A battery change on the key fob seemed to solve it for me.

4. Well, unfortunately not for me. Installing a new battery in the Smartkey made no difference.

5. The only other thing I can think of would be RF interference. Is there any chance that you've got something in your pockets that might be occasionally affecting the keys' performance?

6. Same symptoms and a battery replacement worked for me as well.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Well, I have proven that the Smartkey battery is not the problem. At first it was only the driver side door, and I figured it was a contact problem when pushing the button, but now it happens with both doors. But not with the rear hatch. The hatch opens normally as it always has. So it has to do with the sensor circuitry involving the door button action in the proximity of the Smartkey.
    I was just curious if this issue had come up with others on the Forum. I have a service appointment coming up and will have the dealer look at it. Of course, more than likely it will work just fine when the car is at the dealership. Not a major problem, just a nuisance.

9. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Well-Known Member

I have had this problem very intermittently, but it's been rare enough that I haven't worried about it.

10. Same symptoms using the other key?

11. Yes, exactly the same with both Smartkeys. Also the same whether it is me or my wife who is unlocking or locking, so that rules out any interference issue. I have an appointment with the dealer next Tuesday for a Safety Inspection (needed to transfer ownership) and will see if they are able to restore the proper button action.

12. To remove this ad click here.