Leaf 2020 SL Plus - just purchased, where do I go to limit the battery charging percentage ? thanks

Discussion in 'LEAF' started by Rob63, Nov 7, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Rob63

Rob63 New Member

Leaf 2020 SL Plus - just purchased, where do I go to limit the battery charging percentage ? thanks

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Paul K

Paul K Active Member

There is no direct percentage limiter but there's a way to come close. From the main display hit the left arrow button on the steering wheel. You will see a range of times required to bring the battery to 50% or 75% etc. If the charging rate in the display doesn't match your home dock output then you need to program that number in. Then you set your charging timer for the amount of time needed, plug 'er in overnight and you're good to go.

Because we're on TOU rates here I usually set the charging time to end at 6am and set the start time to provide the desired amount of charge. Cumbersome but it works. They may have changed the system since I bought my 2018 S.

4. Rob63

Rob63 New Member

That's great, thanks. Will give it a try.

5. Rob63

Rob63 New Member

After a couple of months getting used to this charging scheme I think I have it figured out. Thanks so much for your help.

6. Paul K

Paul K Active Member

I gave you a bum steer in the original advice. Instead of scrolling left from the main display you scroll down to find the various charging times. You also have to program in the strength of your charging dock. Mine is 6.5kw. If you're just charging of the 115V outlet it's probably around 1.2kw. Looks like you figured it out so good for you.

I use this system all the time except when going out of town next day when I will charge to full. I still have all the capacity bars showing which is a bit of a fib as I've lost about 8% of my full charge range from when new according to the GOM. I'm now more or less within the stated range capacity for this vehicle. I might add that this car has been totally dependable and no trouble at all. I hope you find the same with yours.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Rob63

Rob63 New Member

Mine is 6.5kw since we had a charging thing installed in the side of the house by the driveway. So, usually, since I drive about 100 miles a day going to work and back, my charge will be about 4.5 to 5.5 hours to get it to 75% on that display, which ends up at about 180 miles. But that didn't really work cause I'd be getting with only about 10-25 miles and that was a bit uncomfortable. So, I added 30 minutes and that helped and it comes out like around 82% or 190 miles. And now that's it cold sometimes I add an hour as my wife (she has a Tesla) said that in the winter it might take more battery since it has to maintain the heater, etc.

I have another questions about the Leaf 2020 SL Plus - is it possible to activate the car from your phone ? Like turn on the car's heater remotely ?

9. Paul K

Paul K Active Member

I believe you have to have the "Nissan Connect" app on your phone to do this. And good luck trying. There seems to be no end of frustrated Nissan owners not being able to use the service.