Limiting max charge level (tip)

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by AndysComputer, Jun 27, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Most EVs allow one to set the maximum charge level, say 80%. The EV will normally stop charging when it reaches that point. it then becomes a matter of some mechanism to change the maximum charge level to 100%, or maybe like my F-150 Lightning app, has a simple button to do a one-time 100% charge each time its selected.

The SE is kind of unique in that there's no way to limit the max charge, so it always charges to 100%.

Rexsio likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    ...which is closer to 80% :cool:

Puppethead and Rogwp like this.
  4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

80% of 80% is 64%, which equates to only about 72 miles of range. I'm conservative (OK, chicken) and rarely let the SOC go below 20%, so that's just 52 miles of driving! No thanks; I'll stick with the ABC plan.

5. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Exactly. As part of the test of my EVSE I've been plugging in after almost every commute and it feels liberating!

Texas22Step, revorg and insightman like this.
  6. Darrell Hayes

Darrell Hayes Member

OK, now I get it. The Electrified app seems to indicate a 11.5% low side buffer & high side buffer that varies over time. My high side buffer started at 0% (SOC H 100%) the day I bought it & has climbed to about 10% today (SOC H 90.6%). I have found that spending more time at 100% SOC will slowly rebalance the battery & leads to an increase in SOC H. It's certainly possible that there is yet more buffer that is not reported on Electrified.

7. To remove this ad click here.