New Generation Kona EV

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by electriceddy, Dec 19, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

No big deal

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I was able to find what is presented as a fast-charge curve for the 2024+ Kona and lay it over one from the 2023+ Niro using PNG transparency.

Other relevant information can be found in Bjorn Nyland's Kona and Niro charging videos where I've referenced his data at 60 and 90% SoC.

@electriceddy's photos of the respective battery pack labels confirm that they have an identical cell layout, nominal voltage and capacity.

A 96-cell pack charged directly needs at maximum 4.20V x 96 (in series) = 403V plus a few volts allowance for pack resistive losses at the prevailing current. You can see at 90% SOC the Niro matches that but the Kona is oddly 45V higher.

The only way I can see the Kona utilising 45 more volts is if there is some sort of "buck" power conversion going on. Buck is the technical term for reducing output voltage, usually associated with the availability of higher current.

2024 Kona 65kWh compared to 2023+ Niro 65kWh with battery tags.png
    Hi-res image at this link.

electriceddy likes this.
  4. Got it! Drove home in the rain. Pics and impressions tomorrow.
    Preview* lane keeping sucks!

electriceddy likes this.
  5. Excellent observations.
    Had I known you would have included the pictures I supplied of the battery labels, I might have tried harder to make them clearer even using my old, cracked phone in the rain:rolleyes:

6. I wouldn't worry about that, I usually shut mine off anyway when the conditions are sour.
    Congratulations and look forward to pictures:)

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. @Wildeyed @EeVeed Congrats on the purchases! I got to drive the preproduction model and I think you'll be super happy with it.

EeVeed likes this.
  9. I drove 120km yesterday on the highway so my impressions so far are very limited and comparisons are with my 2019 Kona.

Bigger, roomier, open. Green/grey upholstery and fittings are fantastic. Very subtle and premium feeling. Lime green accents are fun a brighten the cabin. Very much a modernized upgrade.

Dash and touchscreen look great. Nice, clean design. Seems functional and customizable though I have yet to indulge.

Yes, wireless Carplay and Android Auto!
    Significantly quieter and smoother. Suspension is soft and really deadens bumps. "Feels" bigger and more planted.

Driving characteristics feel virtually identical. No learning curve at all. Regeneration is the same. I have not used I-Pedal yet.

Lane keeping assist is much worse! Bounces from line to line (and I do mean RIGHT to the line) in a scary fashion. A regrettable regression as I adored and totally trusted the previous version. Why on Earth would it be worse?

Storage options are numerous. Centre console storage design is terrible. It's totally open. There's no big bin for just dumping stuff into. A hard brake would send it flying or spilling forward.
    Hard plastic bottom calls for a soft rubber liner. It's slippery and noisy. Pop-out cupholders are a nice gimmick.

Wireless phone deck is very open and secure for even large phones.

I'm looking forward to seeing how range compares once the GOM sees enough of my driving to get accurate readings.

Happy with the decision so far. Some pics, unfortunately on an icy day.

Attached Files:

EeVeed, UnnDunn, Kirby34 and 3 others like this.
  10. Your LKA sounds like my LKA, which is on all the time unless I disable it each start. But my LFA, only active in Smart Cruise works better at lane centering.

Wildeyed likes this.
  11. When I was banging around from line to line my car was on smart cruise. I've always driven in that mode and this car is markedly different. I'm hoping it gets better at driving over time.

* My dealer tells me I may have missed a button. I will continue reading the manual tonight and try to find the solution tomorrow. I sure hope it's as simple as me not setting things up properly. I'm happy to be the dufus if the issue gets fixed!

Last edited: Dec 19, 2023
    KiwiME likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

What, there's a "LKA work properly" button?

Wildeyed likes this.
  14. If it's the same as my I6, there is a separate steering wheel button just for lane centering. With that on you can take your hand off the steering wheel and the car will drive along in the lane by itself incl around curves. Just have to nudge it once in a while to get rid of a nag. And if I signal, it will change lane by itself. Works very well, and I like it. But if you choose cruise control, it also activates lane centering without touching another button. The icon is shown on the dash at the top. You shouldn't fight this one, it knows what it is doing.

The lane keep assist, where it beeps and nudges you back when you get too close to the lane edges is different. It is on by default, unless you shut it off in the settings. That's the one I think you were experiencing. Doesn't bother me, as I have learned to stay away from the lane edges...:D

With my previous Kona, the lane centering never worked well, and had a hard time holding a lane. Had to keep intervening, which negates any benefit. So I turned it off.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2023
    Wildeyed likes this.
  15. Yes. ;)

insightman likes this.
  16. Love that interior color:)

17. They (the dealer sales crew) are the ones that had access to the vehicle months ago (at least that is what my salesperson told me) for training purposes, which leaves adequate time to brush up on knowledge.
    IMHO they and not you missed that button and are responsible for showing you proper vehicle operation upon delivery (unless of course you signed off on that).
    Hyundai usually produces you tube videos regarding such information, perhaps give them a bit of time to hopefully roll some of those out for the 2024 MY if unsuccessful.

Wildeyed and KiwiME like this.
  18. upload_2023-12-20_10-17-21.png
    This is the Lane Keeping Assist button. It is enabled and disabled separately from Cruise Control (though when you enable Cruise Control, it remembers the previous LKA setting). When enabled, a steering-wheel icon will appear at the top of the driver display. When disabled, you will only get Lane Departure Warning/Assist, which means the car will bounce from side to side in the lane because it isn't actively following the lane.

It should also be noted that Lane Keeping Assist takes some time to calibrate itself, during this time it will still ping-pong a little bit, but eventually (after a hundred miles maybe) it will stop.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2023
  19. Everyone has been very helpful in pointing out the GLARINGLY OBVIOUS button I somehow missed. I am trying it out today.
    *Red face*

20. matbos

matbos New Member

Anyone know if the 2024 can save driver seat position to the profiles?

21. In Canada it does not.

22. Experiment complete. The lane centreing is great. Very solid performance. It's a shame that it doesn't stay on as a default but, hey, the button is right there so it'll just become part of my start-up routine.

I also tried out the one pedal driving (which also doesn't stay on as a default) and it's fine. I've gotten so used to the paddles that I'm not sure I'll switch but I'm willing to compare for a while.

UnnDunn and R P like this.
  23. You probably know this. Just like the old Kona you can set the regen level by drive mode in the settings, and that will come on by default with each start up. Only the I-Pedal needs to be reset with each drive start. But it is only one push of the paddles, can't remember if it is the right or left one. I don't like I-Pedal because I prefer to use the brake pedal for the final stop. It also then exercises your wheel brakes a little with each drive. I think that is a good thing. I always use Level 3 just like I did with my Kona.

KiwiME and Wildeyed like this.