HondaLink - MyQ Advert

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Steven B, Dec 16, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Steven B

Steven B Active Member

Just updated the app and this advertisement which takes up most of the initial screen won't honor the Dismiss selection.

Android

Attached Files:

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. NorCalPete

NorCalPete Active Member

"Dismiss" worked for me when I received that ad, but I believe I hit "Learn more" prior to hitting Dismiss. Maybe that's worth a try.

insightman likes this.
  4. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

I can't get rid of the darned thing either. Tried every all combinations of Dismiss and Learn More. Anyone else successfully get rid of it?

5. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

It doesn't properly dismiss for me either. I tap dismiss, and it goes away for a fraction of a second then comes back; I can see the charge status flickering from below the ad to the top of the display to below the ad again, so it is definitely dismissing the ad, but it is annoyingly impermanent.

**** if I'm ever going to get anything "MyQ" though: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/11/chamberlain-blocks-smart-garage-door-opener-from-working-with-smart-homes/

I want a "dumb" opener with a ZigBee device that can trigger the control and tell me whether it is open or closed. I do NOT need the internet directly connected to my garage door.

Also, the "smart" buttons on the headliner paired just fine with my current door opener. No idea why either Honda or Chamberlain would think I would want to resort to some app on the screen rather than just using the dedicated button.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2023
  6. ClarityDoc

ClarityDoc Active Member

I can scroll past it and see what the app is supposed to display, but I can't get rid of the ad. Pushing "Dismiss" only has it flash away and then it reappears.

Obnoxious.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. I was plagued by the MyQ add for a long time too. But a few minutes ago I uninstalled the HondaLink app and then reinstalled from the Play Store and the MyQ add is now gone!

9. NorCalPete

NorCalPete Active Member

I feel the same way about MyQ; I refuse to pay a subscription for such simple capabilities to control my garage door. Twice over the past few years MyQ has crippled the apps I've used to open my garage door automatically when I arrive home on my motorcycle or ebike (so I don't have to carry or reach for a remote). I'm now using Meross's opener to bypass MyQ completely for this task. In conjunction with Smart Things, it has given me back all the flexibility I need to control my garage door without any subscriptions.

meross Smart WiFi Garage Door Opener Remote, App Control, Works with Alexa, Google Assistant and SmartThings, No Hub Needed https://a.co/d/hCMx82t

10. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

Thank You,
    Based on this suggestion, Instead of uninstalling / reinstalling, I went to the App settings and did a 'clear data'.
    I had to sign in again... After doing this, I saw a different ad (which allowed me to dismiss it), then the MyQ ad was back, but this time I could dismiss it.

Now, no ads come up, but maybe Honda will continue to insert ads randomly. At least if the 'dismiss' works, it is not as horrible.

zman0900 likes this.
  11. Steven B

Steven B Active Member

Clearing cache wasn't enough, but clearing Storage (Data) did resolve this for me also. It gave me the ad for Smartcharge and then the ad for MyQ. I could Dismiss both.

12. To remove this ad click here.