Base or Touring

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by NJClarity, Jun 24, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

Tags:

Which model did you choose?

1. Base

37.5%
  2. Touring

62.5%
  3. Both

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. NJClarity

NJClarity Member

Just curious what model everyone is driving? One of the harder decisions in the process. Data from Truecar shows about the a 60/40 split for the Touring.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Atul Thakkar

Atul Thakkar Active Member

You will be better off with touring if you are in USA

4. vicw

vicw Active Member

Touring - Mainly for the power & programmed position front seats

insightman, Texas22Step and DaleL like this.
  5. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Especially front seat-bottom tilt.

6. kcsunshine

kcsunshine Active Member

I wanted the base but was out voted by the wife 1-1. I try to look at it logically and the difference is around 1/10 of the car. To me, it is not worth 1/10. That 1/10 could be used towards the next car.

KentuckyKen, JJim and chris5168 like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. AndyBA

AndyBA New Member

I traded in a Pilot with leather seats but have been plenty happy with the base Clarity.

9. Tdude

Tdude New Member

Base if you don't mind manual seat adjustment.

10. bfd

bfd Active Member

In the case of this particular car, there's no compelling reason to go with the Touring model. Both levels are essentially the same in every category that counts. So for the extra $2-3k, you have to really want the power seats because there's really no difference otherwise. The nav system isn't all that, and since both levels have CarPlay or Android's version there's access to plenty of other nav options. It would've been nice to see Honda offer something along the lines of a slightly bigger ICE plant or any other option like better wheels, heated steering wheel, enhanced safety like rear cross traffic, etc. within that Touring premium. Still, there are plenty of people who are OK with the extra $$$ for power seats and nav.

chris5168 likes this.
  11. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

And you find the angle of the driver's seat bottom acceptable in the Base. It's adjustable in the Touring.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

I wanted the power seats, especially the seat position memory. The rest wasn't that important to me.

The SatNav in the Clarity is provided by Garmin. We've used Garmin devices on top of our dashboard for years which cost about $150 each and come with free traffic and map updates. I would have been fine continuing to use a dash mounted Garmin. The disadvantage of the built in Garmin/Map is to change music you have to leave the map. With a dash mounted unit (yes it's ugly) it is always displaying the map.

14. Tailwind

Tailwind Active Member

My wife is 4'11", I'm 5'9". Seat memory was a must. Touring

Texas22Step, Jed and DaleL like this.
  15. JJim

JJim Active Member

I am Canadian so I went to the Base with no consideration due to the lack of power/memory seat on Touring model.
    I used to use Google map on my phone for Navigation. That is 5 years old phone so the map run very slow and the GPS signal reception very poor. I have to mount my phone on the windshield or else I never get GPS signal . Today I hooked up my phone to the car and run Google Map on Android Auto and so surprise how smooth it is and the GPS signal is very strong , even I put my phone in the middle console . I learned in this forum that the Base model has it own GPS module for tracking the car position when using Hondalink app and then the difference between Base and Touring in Navigation system is just the Garmin software . Now I learned that AA used the Clarity's GPS "hardware" to run Google Map. Can anyone double check?

Chris Messer likes this.
  16. Carro con enchufe

Carro con enchufe Active Member

With Apple CarPlay, included in the base model, I can change the music with the arrows on the steering wheel while viewing Apple Maps.

Johnhaydev likes this.
  17. Chris Messer

Chris Messer Member

Totally agree, the options that you get with the Touring in Canada are not worth the cost. Hook up your phone and use Maps or Waze, GPS is not worth that much extra. The only other option you get is the programmable garage door buttons....whooopeeeee do.

The problem is, these things are scarce, so best of luck finding the base model in Canada.

JJim likes this.
  18. Timothy

Timothy Active Member

4' 11" and 5' 10" here. Not only that but we truly share the car. Previously, it was more a his car and a her car. The seat memory has makes this situation much easier. Plus when we purchased our dealer was offering a discount on the Touring but not the Base (which was not yet in stock). At the point that we decided to buy one I was all about the Base. The discount and availability change our minds. After 6 months I have no regrets about going Touring and knowing what I know now, I would pick the Touring over the Base. Additionally, we do occasionally use the Navigation. While we mostly use Google maps via Android Auto, the built-in nav is a nice convenience when you don't feel like connecting your phone.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    DaleL, ClarityDoc and KentuckyKen like this.
  19. Timothy

Timothy Active Member

Ah, you are the one still using Apple Maps.

20. I have the garage door buttons on my base model. Are they not supposed to be there?

21. Carro con enchufe

Carro con enchufe Active Member

I have them on the base model as well. I think the user guide suggests that they are not standard.

22. JJim

JJim Active Member

Canadian Base model doesn't have those buttons, that might be the cutting for the battery heater

Johnhaydev likes this.
  23. neal adkins

neal adkins Active Member

The touring. The leather similated material also wraps the steering wheel and totally covers the front and rear seats. Plus the touring also has power drivers and passenger seats. Of course Honda's nav system is nice. Why settle for less...

DaleL likes this.