Tire fit question

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by 1nickatnite1, Aug 2, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. 1nickatnite1

1nickatnite1 Member

I'm shopping for new tires and was originally settled on the Firehawk 500s but then I found the General GMAX RS. Problem is the General only comes in 205/55/R16. Has anyone here put 205 size tires on their SE and did you have to do any modifications because of the extra width?

Thanks in advance!

SameGuy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

It should be fine. The stock tires for 17" wheels is 205.

My winter tires are 215 width with no issues either.

1nickatnite1 likes this.
  4. 1nickatnite1

1nickatnite1 Member

Thanks! And I'm assuming you didn't have to install spacers?

5. chrunck

Nope, no spacers, and the wheels are factory wheels.

1nickatnite1 likes this.
  6. To remove this ad click here.

7. 1nickatnite1

1nickatnite1 Member

8. teddybare

teddybare Member

its a strange one when i went to my tyre garage i already had the rears with the 205 fitted like i said no problem ..but when they tried the fronts it was a no go touching the shocks, so i actually have 195 still on front (car feels fine by the way) all tyres like new so i can decide if go spaces or not when i need to replace.

1nickatnite1 likes this.
  9. chrunck

It's weird to me that 205s would require spacers when the 17" wheels come with that size tire from the factory. Doesn't seem like 16" vs 17" diameter would really change the clearance.

10. 1nickatnite1

1nickatnite1 Member

Yea I don't get it either. I just went to go check my car and you're right its basically ~2mm of clearance between the front wheels and the springs so no idea how it can come with 205 from factory without spacers. Maybe its just an acceptable tolerance for them? I'll get the spacers just to be safe and rather have 205 size anyways. There's so may more options than 195.

11. To remove this ad click here.

12. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

MINI, knowing their 17" rims would get wider tires, must have made them with more of a negative offset than their 16" rims.
    upload_2023-8-4_22-35-41.png
    copied from https://www.lesschwab.com/article/wheels/what-is-wheel-offset.html

13. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Both 16 inch and 17 inch OEM wheels should be 54mm offset.

pictsidhe, Giosan and insightman like this.
  14. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

That shoots my theory. Do 16" 205 tires have an interference problem because their taller sidewalls bulge out more than the lower-profile 17" 205s?

15. teddybare

teddybare Member

I'm pretty sure that's it because the contact 6 tyres do look like they bulge more

insightman likes this.
  16. I put 205/50/16 Yokohama a052 tires on, and they just fit without any rubbing. You can look up dimensions on Tirerack.com to see if they're not any wider. All 205's are not the same width...

17. If you go with spacers, you should probably go with longer lug bolts to match. Mini uses lug bolts instead of lug nuts. I found 5mm spacers and 5mm longer lug bolts on ebay. Maybe just have them on hand, in case you need them for the front.

18. 1nickatnite1

1nickatnite1 Member

Wanted to update this thread. I ended up getting 15mm spacers and 45mm bolts. The install process was easy and straightforward. Looking at the wheels, it appears to be just barely wider than the fenders so not sure if this will impact range. It doesn't bother me but if anyone else wants to do it I'd recommend the 12mm spacers.

19. teddybare

teddybare Member

Thanks for the update

20. teddybare

teddybare Member

forgot to ask, any pics..:)

21. 1nickatnite1

1nickatnite1 Member

I'll try to get some later but honestly it's hard to tell any difference from the outside. And I forgot to take the before pics for comparison anyways.

22. teddybare

teddybare Member

That's ok ,least we know theres not a lot of spacer needed

1nickatnite1 likes this.