Smog test for the Clarity?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by coutinpe, Apr 5, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

Tags:
  1. coutinpe

coutinpe Active Member

Sorry man, that was essentially fake news. I went to that place and the first thing the guy there asked me was it my car was a CIVIC. Of course, the car wouldn't pass the test, even though he figured out in YouTube how to switch the car to "maintenance mode" and start the engine, but to no avail, the reading device failed each of the three times he tried. The good news is that if you go to the "emissions control lab" or whatever it's called, behind the Sahara DMV, they will give you a waiver immediately. The old man there is very nice and familiar with the Clarity, and will give that to you in a blink. I recommend you go early in the morning (8:30-ish). I didn't need an appointment. The down side is you need later to book an appointment to do the registration in person, not on line.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. lanb

lanb Active Member

Ah, thanks for the update. Does the "emissions lab" need a failed test certificate to issue the waiver or can I just show up with the Clarity and get the waiver ?

4. coutinpe

coutinpe Active Member

The shop never gave me a "failed" because it was never able to actually perform the test. I just showed up next day at the Sahara lab on his recommendation in search of advice, and there they just gave me the waiver. The man there said "Oh, another Clarity!". So just go there and get it. Remember to make an appointment later to get the registration in person.

5. lanb

lanb Active Member

Thanks !

6. lanb

lanb Active Member

Stopped by the emissions lab at Sahara and apparently they now need a failed certificate to issue an exemption.
    It wasn't the older guy at the counter, so maybe I just got unlucky. Any way, I have to fail the test and go back again.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. coutinpe

coutinpe Active Member

Aw! Sorry to hear that.

9. JCA

JCA Active Member

It's really crappy that Nevada doesn't require their licensed smog test places to keep their software up to date with some penalty for not doing so. Clearly this is just a database/lookup issue. For smog testing purposes the Clarity PHEV is no different than an Accord, Civic, etc hybrid in terms of operations (forcing the engine to run, the emissions equipment on the engine, etc). Beyond visual equipment checks, the actual test is primarily the car self-reporting via OBDII these days for any car.

Years ago my '95 Neon had trouble with the California smog check because it wouldn't hold a constant idle speed; that was a problem with the car itself (that manifested itself in weird power glitches when driving sometimes too), so understandable. Then while the regular mechanic was about to start pulling things apart to figure out why, it started working, so they rushed it back over to the smog place, and the issue never happened again and we never figured out what the issue was. Ironically I kind of hoped for a fail, because the state would have paid more than it was otherwise worth to scrap it, but it had to really fail, not be untestable. Of course it passed with flying colors every time...

10. lanb

lanb Active Member

Update : I stopped by the NV emissions lab after getting a rejected test (communication failure) and
    they were able to do a successful smog check on my Clarity.

P.S. - Need to go into maintenance mode or HV charging mode to run the engine for the test.

Details : I spoke with the employee (older guy) after and here is the info from him
    1) They now need a rejected certificate and they will attempt a re-test
    2) They have a newer smog machine based on Windows 10 (old machines are on Windows 7) which is able to test 50% of the time. These new machines are supposedly available in about 4 other private smog testing places in the LV area
    3) Even with the new machine, there is only a 50% chance of successful testing of clarity's and they still don't know why. They are working with Honda but no resolution so far.

Lastly, according to him, the testing works in CA because they don't check for the RPM (I am a little skeptical on this)

Last edited: Jul 29, 2023
  11. FWIW: I recently took our 2019 Clarity to an Oregon DEQ station for a smog test. I drove there in EV. Prior to pulling into the wait line, I put the car in Maintenance Mode. This was my first time doing this. It worked perfectly and took less than a minute.

In a matter of seconds the vehicle was first in line to enter the next open bay. After barely coming to a stop, a signal was given to pull forward. The appropriate paperwork was handed to the tech and I exited the car. He plugged in a cable and in what couldn’t have been more than 2-3 minutes the test was complete. I paid the test fee and registration, he handed me a diploma, current registration and new tags.

Once clear of the bay, I turned the car off to disable Maintenance Mode, then powered up to drive home in EV. In my opinion, it seems unlikely that sufficient time would have elapsed to allow for the catalytic converter to heat up as was suggested previously. Overall, a pretty simple process to start the engine.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. coutinpe

coutinpe Active Member

Could you kindly refresh my memory on how to put the Clarity in maintenance mode? I vaguely remember finding a video on YouTube about it last year, but for some reason I can't find it anymore. Maybe it was censored...?

14. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

@Landshark posted the procedure last April.

15. It’s in post #4 of this thread. I keep a screenshot of the procedure on my phone. Alternatively, it could be printed and kept with the owners manual in the glove box.

coutinpe likes this.
  16. coutinpe

coutinpe Active Member

Thank you

17. coutinpe

coutinpe Active Member

Thank you so much.