Charger Not clicking in

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by BobbyB, Jun 23, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. BobbyB

BobbyB New Member

Hi all,

My OEM charger is no longer able to click into the port to begin charging on my 2020 Clarity. I was able to charge at work using a Chargepoint station just a few hours ago, but when I got home I noticed that my own plug was not working. It's seems the plug is not seating in properly and the button on the handle isn't able to click in. The plug is very loose and able to wiggle around, which is something I hadn't experienced before. Anyone else have this issue and any solutions?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

If you don't see anything blocking the seating of your charging handle, is there a nearby public EVSE you could try? Can you post a photo of your charging port?

4. BobbyB

BobbyB New Member

Hi,
    Just checked with two public EVSE around me. One did not work at all. The other was a charge point station that initially did not work until I put a bit of force into pushing the plug into the port. Even so, the plug was at an odd angle and did not make the nice clicking noise it usually makes when connecting. It seems that all the plugs I tried were very loose and unable to make a tight connection. I'll upload a photo of my port.

Attached Files:

5. insightman

Your experience at the other EVSEs certainly points to your charging port having a problem, but I don't see any obvious problem in your photo.

It's a good thing you have your Clarity's ICE to get you around while you sort out this problem. It would be more serious if you were driving an EV.

6. BobbyB

BobbyB New Member

So I blew some compressed air into each section of the the port and a small circular gray piece of what appears to be part of the Chargepoint plug from my workplace flew out from the bottom port. It was lodged in there preventing the charger from being able to completely snap in. It can be seen in this photo. I found a similar post from someone on another Clarity forum that had the exact same issue and fix! Thanks for your help

Attached Files:

Madmartigen and insightman like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. insightman

I don't see the Chargepoint material in your photo, but I'm glad the fix was so easy.

9. Fidzio

Fidzio Member

Charging problem with 2018 Clarity PHEV:

1. History: 12V battery was replaced in early June 2023 as the car failed to start after driving to work. Charging worked fine for two weeks after the battery replacement.

a. I have a Chargepoint Home EVSE which I’ve used with no issues since I bought the car new in 2018

b. I also have the Honda OEM connector for charging at 110V when I’m away from home. Again with no previous issues.

2. Today I plugged in the Chargepoint home EVSE connector and green light came on. Left the car and came back 3 hours later to check that the car was fully charged. Car would not charge according to the Chargepoint app. Honda app claimed it was charging at 120V but no increase in state of charge after 3 hours so not charging.

a. I checked the Chargepoint EVSE on a Tesla – charges OK so its not the Chargepoint EVSE

3. Plugged in OEM 120V EVSE and green light came on. Car still would not charge.

4. Disconnected 12V battery for 5 mins and reconnected. Still not charging. Went for 5 minute drive to reset all of the warnings after the battery reset. Still not charging.

5. Checked for DTC on the Autel and no code reported.

a. There is a flashing red light immediately to the LHS of the LH indicator arrow when the car door locks. Not sure what this is? Is it just the warning that the alarm is set?
    4. Noted a faint clicking noise every 10 secs from somewhere at the back of the car, which sounds like a relay clicking on and off. Not sure if this is relevant.

Has anyone else had an issue with not charging even when the green light is ON?

Thanks

10. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

The first thing that comes to my mind is that maybe your car is set up for a 'scheduled' charge (either intentionally or accidentally).
    I have never used that function, but I would think that it could behave like this.

11. Fidzio

Fidzio Member

Thanks for the reply. I did check that the scheduled charging was disabled via the Honda app.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

Just to be certain, it may be worth checking the settings via the head unit... I do not completely trust the App.
    You could also enable scheduled charging then disable it again. If the software was somehow 'stuck', maybe cycling it would free it up.

One other thing that just occurred to me - Examine the J1772 connector on the vehicle very carefully with a flashlight and maybe a magnifying glass. There has been at least one instance where a pin got pushed out of position and failed to connect. That could certainly cause something like this.

Madmartigen likes this.
  14. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

You may want to check the infotainment system as well to make sure that those settings are for immediate charge, just to be sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside

Last edited: Jul 6, 2023
  15. That is the Immobilizer System Indicator.

Do either the Chargepoint EVSE display or OEM EVSE indicator lights show any sort of malfunction?

The Chargepoint app lacks details and the Honda app is apparently incorrect. Perhaps the actual devices can provide some useful information.

16. Fidzio

Fidzio Member

Thanks for the reply about the immobiliser. Normally I just walk away from the car and listen for it to auto lock
    The Chargepoint app is flatlined at O kw and the Honda app also shows no increase in SOC.

17. Fidzio

Fidzio Member

No fault lights on the OEM charger. Just steady green and amber.

18. Does the Chargepoint EVSE have a display screen or indicator lights that show charging status or the possibility of a malfunction?

Is there any additional information available in the Chargepoint app that might help us out? Something along the lines of:
    1) Unable to establish communication protocol.
    2) Line voltage too low.
    3) I’m tired.

A couple other possibilities are a poor connection at the plug, or a problem with the plug. Or the power is ON. The car will only charge with the power set to Accessory or Off.

19. insightman

Does HV Charge mode work to increase your battery's SOC? If it doesn't work, the problem likely isn't with the J1772 connection. However, if HV Charge does work, it doesn't necessarily indicate the J1772 connection is the problem.

20. Isn’t HV Charge a separate charging system from the onboard 120/240V charger?

Or, maybe I’m not following your logic.

21. Fidzio

Fidzio Member

HV Charge mode works OK - my guess is still on the on board charger. I'll take it in tomorrow for a dealer diagnosis. Does anyone know if on board charger replacement is a reasonable DIY project?

22. Fidzio

Fidzio Member

The Chargepoint EVSE has no lights other than a rotating blue showing it is supposed to be charging. It works fine on another BEV so I think I can rule out the EVSE. Line voltage is OK and it's not tired :)

23. The charger and related components are covered under either the 8/100,000 or 15/150,000 emissions warranty. Unless your a glutton for punishment, have the work done at a dealer for no cost.