What port number to connect via ADB?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Arctiic, Jun 14, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I cannot for the life of me remember the port number, can anyone help me out? Thanks!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. In case anyone else needs to know, it turned out to be port# 5555. Oh and i have the 2018 non-turing PHEV.

Daniel M W likes this.
  4. Who knew there were so many ports?

5. coutinpe

coutinpe Active Member

Sorry folks, Can you enlighten me a bit? I saw ADB is sort of an Android communicating method, but how do you do that with the Clarity, physically, and what can it be useful for?
    Thanks

6. No problem! Android Debug Bridge (ADB) is a daemon used by developers, superusers, etc., in the form of a programmatic interface, and allows the user to debug an Android device (among many other functions). You can do things like manage applications, push/pull files, send simulated key events or screen touches, etc. While it's much more powerful with root, it is also the "next best thing" when it comes to managing a stock device without root (you can gain access and grant permissions for various tasks on apps you specify, which you wouldn't be able to do from the device frontend itself directly under normal circumstances).

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

I feel really stupid after reading this... :)

9. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I had to use a program called Bimmercode to unlock the AM tuner in my MINI so I could listen to sports. Fortunately, Honda didn't follow BMW's lead and lock out the AM tuner they included in the first place. So I'm blithely grateful I have no need to use ADB with my Clarity. However, I am happy to know others find ways to play with the coding that make them like their Clarity better.

10. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

How about providing some specific examples of things that can be done with this, that your average user might find useful?
    (without needing root because the average user would not have root access)...

insightman likes this.
  11. A software developer or enthusiast might feel “stupid” if presented with information on other subjects such as, legal or financial matters, quantum mechanics, botany or neurophysiology. Not knowing everything doesn’t make a person stupid.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. An example would be granting an application permission to access a particular directory that might be restricted by default, or disabling an application that comes pre-installed and doesn't allow you the option to disable through the user configuration space. You can also take a partial backup through `adb backup` or restore one through `adb restore`. In fact, situationally, you can get access to copy out a file from some root directory you normally woudn't get to access at all (such as the aformentioned backup function, when an app has the `allow_backup` flag enabled in manifest). If your screen ever gets damaged and you had USB debugging enabled ahead of time, you can use ADB to send the inputs or unlock (or just clear the password/pattern lock), or combined with RainMeter and/or AHK, you can setup a one-click-unlock for your phone at your workstation, or other such automations. You can also use ADB to control any smart TV's you have that runs on Android or some variants; it also works on some Chromecasts (like the Ultra 4K) and Firesticks. By granting apps like SetEdit read/write permissions through ADB, you can gain access to device settings not visible through the frontend user configuration space. Those are just the things I can think of off the top of my head!

MrFixit likes this.
  14. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

Thanks, but you are still on an entirely different plane than most Clarity drivers.
    I am a pretty technical guy and I still don't see what I might want to do here with the ADB interface !!!

With the factory vehicle, and with what comes pre-installed and configured in the head unit, are there some useful things you can think of that someone might want to do with this (expressed in terms of vehicle operation rather than Android / permissions / user space, etc..)?

ie: What can I make my car do that it doesn't do already as configured by the factory ????

15. Steven B

Steven B Active Member

Would not surprise me to learn that someone used a method such as this to eventually figure out how to unlock and start the Hyundai and Kia cars with code on a thumb drive. Hopefully we'll learn that isn't possible on Hondas.

16. Well, for my own very real use case, I had a lock screen pattern set and recently my wife broke the screen and digitizer on it, so it no longer responded to touch. This made it so I had to plug in a mouse in order to get past the lock screen (which prevents the rear camera from showing up when you're in reverse). I was able to wipe the lock screen pattern via ADB, so at least I can get the rear cam up now. I'm still exploring other facets, as I'm familiar with Android but not with HMU's, so there's still a learning curb I'm tackling at the moment.

17. Unfortunately, this has already been a known vulnerability for a while now. It's being addressed under CVE-2021-46145.

EDIT: To clarify, the attack surface does not — to my knowledge — involved ADB, and instead involves the RKE system (presumably via RF). Here's an informational web page published by the person who discovered the vulnerability.