Measurement Canada approves per kW/h billing

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by electriceddy, Feb 24, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Times to rejoice for all our slow DC charging EVs, as finally Measurement Canada approves per kW/h billing.:)
    No worries about cold soaked batteries or slower DC charging curves and brings charging cost fairness across the board.
    Keep an eye out for rate changes likely soon to be implemented throughout Canada.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. And it starts in Quebec:
    " EV owners plugging in at their DC fast charging stations, either CCS of CHAdeMO, will be billed at $0.65/kwh.

Although it is not listed on the website Drive Tesla has learned there will be a discounted rate of $0.59 per kWh offered to customers who create a Couche-Tard account. Customers who have already signed up should be receiving an email shortly about the new rates, which will be effective March 6, 2023.

For a Tesla Model 3 RWD with a 60kW battery pack that would equate to just under $23 to charge from 20% to 80% at the non-member rate, or about $21 at the member’s rate."

At least you know what you are paying for at a metered cost, I like it;)

4. JohnDD

JohnDD New Member

And the rate is about 7 times as high as charging at home, here in Ottawa. This will be an excuse for raising the cost of charging. Time to switch back to ICE?

5. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I would have expected Canada, a country with many hydro-power generation plants, to favor EVs with more reasonable rates.

How do the per/kWh rates compare to the price of gasoline in Canada?

6. Gas today in Ottawa is approx $1.38CDN/litre or in US rates 1.38CDN*0.74xCDN/USD * 3.78l/ US gallon = $3.86USD/US Gal

A Honda HR-V gets, best case highway, 6.9 l /100km so 100km cost 1.38*6.9 = $9.52CDN per 100km
    My Kona EV in winter gets about 20kWh/100km so at $0/65CDN/kWh costs 20*.65 = $13 CDN per 100km
    In summer, about 15kWh/100km so 15 * $0.65 = $9.75 for 100km

I realize that I am comparing best case on one vehicle to worst case on another, but frankly I did not expect them to be anywhere close.
    So, yeah, those rates look outstandingly bad when an EV costs the same or more than an similar-ish ICE vehicle to drive the same distance.

(Please check my math)

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

$0.65 CAD per kWh sounds very expensive. Even after adding up all the delivery charges and Tier 2 residential with on-peak pricing for Hydro Ottawa, it's still around $0.26/kWh max. If you are bundling in fixed costs, then I guess it would be REALLY expensive if your monthly consumption was 100kWh per month.

Going off peak and using less than 1,000kWh/mo would shave off $0.093/kWh to bring it down to $0.167/kWh.

9. In the example given, the 60 kWh Tesla (20% to 80%) charged a total of 36kWh at a cost of $21

Using Petro Canada by the minute rate:
    ("When you join us along Canada’s Electric HighwayTM, pay $0.50 per minute while you charge, with no connection or idling fees.*")
    Lets go with 50kWh rate to flatten the curve
    36kWh (total charge)/50kW rate=.72 hours
    .72H*60 minutes=43.2 minutes
    43.2 minutes @ $0.50 per minute = $21.60
    So yes the cost is the same, a little high I agree.
    But...how many times have we DC charged our 77kW max peak rate @a flat 50 kW rate?
    Usually, the battery is too cool and the curve cuts in as well, that cost could easily be double or more.

So it is a start, we will see how it goes as this is the first announced rate using this system.

10. eastpole

eastpole Active Member

Frankly I view DCFC chargers as an entire business of rip offs. I pay them because I know I won't be back until this time next year. Complaining about how DCFC is expensive (but complain away to the regulators, please, I'd like to see prices drop) is like complaining that very fine alcohol is more expensive at the bar than when you go to the liquor store and buy a bottle. (1)

Not a shock to me that we get cheap prices when we fill up at home overnight but pay way too much when we fill up right beside the 401 while drinking a $5 Starbucks!

(1) Or coffee at the Starbucks vs. from my own espresso machine in my kitchen, right?

11. The irony is that we need DCFC but no one really wants to use one since charging at home (or hotel on road trips) is cheaper. I don't care if the costs fluctuate a little as a result of per kWh rates, but if the DCFCs start putting out more kW it would be welcome. The bigger issue in my experience is charger reliability (ahem, Petrocan).

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. JohnDD

JohnDD New Member

My experience with a recent trip to Quebec City from Ottawa, a distance of 426kM with close to 0*C temperature resulted in about 18 kW/100kM in my 2021 Kona EV. I charged twice to about 80% at a total cost of $26.60 for 79.9kWh. The rate was 26.60/79.9 = $0.33 /kWh compared to the planned $0.65/kWh. So the new per kWh would have cost twice as much! Time to revert to the ICE vehicle?