Problem with Bluetooth phone

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Rickker, Feb 25, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I have a 2019 Ultimate and an iPhone xr connected by Bluetooth. (don't use Apple Car Play because my wife does and we can't both at the same time)

Everything was working just fine until I downloaded and installed the latest Navigation and software updates. All seemed to be OK, and I didn't notice right away that there was a phone problem, as I don't use it very often.

The problem is that there is no audio coming from the Kona when using the phone. I tried deleting the phone, and reinstalled and paired it again. Did not make any difference.

All seems normal, except no audio from the Kona. If I am driving along, an incoming call is displayed on the Kona screen, and I can take it by tapping "Accept", but can't hear anything until I switch the iPhone away from "Kona EV" to either the iPhone or its speaker. Similarily, if I am parked and make a phone call from the Kona system it is displayed on the screen but I don't hear the ringing or when it is picked up. Unless I change the iPhone back as mentioned above.

I fear this is a bug that I may not be able to work around. Just asking if anyone else has had this problem? Based on past posts, I don't expect Hyundai to be helpful.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Are you using the stock phone dialer to make calls, or are you using an IP-calling app like FaceTime, WhatsApp or Skype?

4. Just the stock phone dialer, which I can see on the screen making the call, but there is no sound of the ringing or when somebody answers.

5. Have you tried raising the volume while in a call? Stupid suggestion, but you didn't rule it out. Gotta tackle the low-hanging fruit first.

electriceddy and Joev like this.
  6. Thanks UnnDunn! Turns out it was not a stupid suggestion. The stupidity was mine. Very embarrassing. But in my defense, I had been listening to the radio at a comfortable volume before using the phone, and then could not hear anything from the Kona speakers when making or receiving a phone call. It's as if the system reduced the volume to minimum when switching from radio to a phone call. I know, doesn't make sense. My other defense is that I will be turning 80 this year. Anyway, all is well now and thanks for the tip. .....Rickker

UnnDunn, electriceddy and Joev like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Good advice, I don't use the phone with Bluetooth too often and it happens to me every time I use Bluetooth. Have to crank up the volume on the phone call compared to the radio.
    Thanks for putting it out there for all of us to try to remember!

electriceddy likes this.
  9. Excellent. Glad it worked.

For future reference, most modern cars have separate and independent volume settings for music, phone calls, navigation instructions and voice prompts. Generally-speaking, adjusting the volume while one of things is active will only adjust the volume for that specific thing, without affecting any of the other things.

In Hyundai vehicles with navigation (which your car has), the only exception is the navigation prompts; the volume for that is adjusted on the map screen.