Increased ev range phenomenon

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by neal adkins, Jan 8, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. neal adkins

neal adkins Active Member

Recently i have noticed improved ev performance and extended ev range after multiple short in town trips. I was connecting to my level one charger after each (city driving, stop and go) trip. I realize that it's normal to achieve better range when driving in town. But it seems these short trips was good for my ev battery. My last trip was about 24 miles and included 5 miles freeway speeds and then 10 miles of 50 mph, and about 7 miles 45 mph and 2 miles at 30 mph. I had started with a full charge and had 55 percent soc left when i connected afterwards. So thats 24 miles on 45 percent of ev battery. Climate control was off. I had previously been consistently getting around 35 miles range at 60 mph. So its seems all the short trips and connecting to charge after each trip has reconditioned my ev battery. Also i had aired all my tires to 39 psi.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2023
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Variable EV range estimates are well documented, clearly explained and easily understood by many on this forum.

Do you have any evidence that the battery has been “reconditioned”?

4. Ambient temperature?

5. neal adkins

In yuma Arizona. So 60 to 65 degrees.

6. neal adkins

Just the unexpected range. I just completed 42 miles and still have around 7 miles of range left. The car was briefly plugged in but only about 35 minutes. Before i was well bellow 40 miles of range. Not sure what's really going on. But definitely gained about 14 miles in range on 2 occasions.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. I expect that's the "sweet spot" for EV Temps.

My Niro EV consumed 1 mWh of power to go 6 miles, at its lowest.
    You also have learnt to modulate your speed, to get best range.

It's sort of like a video game, requiring concentration.

neal adkins likes this.
  9. neal adkins

Yes, i try to do my best. But the car is performing like it did when i got it in June of 2018. Has about 53k miles

northof49ev likes this.
  10. Did you actually achieve 14 miles of additional EV range while driving in the same manner and under the same conditions as when you achieved 14 miles less?

Based on the information that you have shared with us, it appears that your EV range estimates and actual range achieved, have increased because your driving habits have changed.

If you could accurately repeat a few times, the 60mph drive that you mentioned in the first post, where you reportedly achieved 35 miles of range, and share the results of those drives, we might have a more meaningful data point with which we could determine the level of phenomenal activity that may have occurred inside your battery.

11. JCA

JCA Active Member

Driving speed and climate control (heat in particular) are the biggest factors I've seen in range. I can get as low as 35 miles EV on a cold day with the heat and defroster on driving mostly highway at 70-75 MPH, and 50+ miles EV with no heat on driving local roads at ~40 MPH.

Ambient temps in the 60s could result in a lot of variance, especially if the temp setting is left alone. Imagine several short trips where the car is parked in the sun and the interior stays in the high 60s, so it doesn't need to use the heat to get to "68" or whatever it's set at. And another set of short trips where it's 60 outside and the car is in the shade, so for every trip it has to run the heat most of the time to hit the temp setting.

I generally manage the heat/AC manually, but it's a bit of a pain flipping in and out of the climate screen, adjusting the temp knob to Lo or not, and syncing as needed. I never need heat when it's in the 50s or 60s and I'm probably wearing a jacket anyway, but if I set the temp low the AC will come on too much. What I really wish is that there were separate temperatures for heat and AC -- ideally I'd set it to cool to 72 and heat to 58-60, and do nothing in between.

David Towle likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. David Towle

David Towle Well-Known Member

Not for me. I get all my best readings (up to 70 miles per charge) at temps above 90 degrees F in Florida.

14. I would put ambient temperature in the #2 spot, closely behind speed. We typically see a ~20% loss of range when operating the vehicle in temperatures of 30-50F as compared to temperatures of 70F or more. This holds true even when no climate control, including seat warmers, is utilized.

This observation has been made while making routine, repeatable trips that have little to no variation in traffic or average speeds. The most significant and measurable variable is ambient temperature.

David Towle likes this.
  15. neal adkins

I was able to do a highway run and made it to about 43.5 miles before the gas started powering the car. Speed between 55 an 60 approximately with no heat or ac. So not 14 miles but around 7 miles improvement at highway speed.