Trying to figure out

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Stillk, Dec 10, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. jakesmini

jakesmini Member

Thanks for the mirror note! I was going through menus trying to turn it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. BackPack

BackPack Member

Thanks again @GvilleGuy. I used this method yesterday and worked perfectly. So nice to drive with a normal cruise control again.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  4. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Lol it’s so weird. I paid extra for the adaptive cruise control, because I love the feature so much in our Subaru! But yes, it’s perhaps one of the worst things on the SE.

5. Qisl

Qisl Active Member

I, too, enjoy ACC on a Subaru. Your comment makes me feel less bad about losing ACC due to parts shortages...

6. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

ACC is pretty hit or miss, but there is certainly a more "assertive" style of driving if you live in northeastern US or eastern Canada.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Texas22Step

Texas22Step Well-Known Member

To be repetitive of others as to how to "switch off adaptive cruise", just use a long press of the "following distance" button on the steering wheel, and the car will revert to the good ol' standard cruise control. (I have had a lot of instances of the adaptive cruise just spontaneously turning off -- a camera based system they used in MINI SE -- with tree shadows, strong sunlight, etc. just doesn't work very well with it.)

insightman and SameGuy like this.
  9. BackPack

BackPack Member

I don’t like adaptive cruise control in any car. My dislike comes from the fact that others can now control my speed. I can be following another car at a safe distance and someone will move into the lane between us, thus slowing me down even though there’s enough space.

JonR likes this.
  10. SameGuy

YUL
    Well, like I said about that before, it’s not much of a problem in other cars because you can set an appropriate following distance — which if someone tried to fill if you weren’t using ACC, you’d have to slow anyway — but in the MINI the minimum following distance is ludicrously large, so people keep filling up that space and then the MINI slams on the brakes.

I would learn how to use ISTA/esys/whatever if I knew I could reprogram the minimum following distance (oh, and the dawdling resume rate).

Texas22Step likes this.
  11. carrrl

carrrl Active Member

You can change the default saving you a few button clicks. The implantation is probably so loose because that’s the safest it can achieve with its hardware.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. SameGuy

YUL
    Yeah I have it set to default to the absolute minimum, which is still about 10 SUV- lengths at 40 mph. Smh.

14. SameGuy

YUL
    And it creeps (drives in “stop-and-go” traffic) so well, I find it hard to believe it’s a hardware limitation, even though it is a monocular camera system with no long distance sensors. It crawls and handles stop-and-go traffic better than our Subaru or my nephew’s brand new Audi or my sister’s Lexus.

15. Does anyone happen to know what exactly is missing on the recent vehicles that got the heated steering wheel credit (such as mine)? Is the assumption that the heating elements are still in the steering wheel and it’s other parts that are missing? I know it was eliminated due to “chip shortages” but I’m not exactly sure what that entails…I’d love to retrofit the heated steering wheel if possible, especially if it doesn’t involve replacing the steering wheel itself.