Low Conductivity Coolant Change Procedure

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by apu, Dec 27, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I assume you still own 2019 MY, and the color of the coolant is green (not low conductive type - blue)
    The cap will also give you info as to the type that is installed:

[​IMG]
    IIRC the green has a longer change interval @ 120,000 km. You could double check that with your dealer or service (maintenance) manual.

navguy12 and XtsKonaTrooper like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. navguy12

navguy12 Well-Known Member

If you open the hood of the car, look for the coolant reservoir and see if the coolant is green (older vehicle VIN/build date using “conventional” coolant) or blue (newer vehicle VIN/build date after (?) early 2020 (?) using a non-conductive coolant).
    The non-conductive coolant was a running engineering change in an attempt to mitigate the battery fire situation that reared its ugly head a few years ago. As the name implies, if some sort of unspecified internal battery short occurs, the non-conductive coolant is another layer of safety to prevent said unspecified internal battery short from using the coolant as a pathway for multiplying its deleterious effects.

4. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

Its green good for years to come..Thanks

5. If you got a new battery then they should have replaced the coolant, unless they recovered what you had and reused it. The only way for you to know what your next steps would be, would be to contact the dealer that performed the battery replacement and ask them for details about what they did with regards to the coolant. They should also be able to tell you which version of coolant your car uses, so you will know what will be needed when the time comes to replace it.

6. instanoodles

instanoodles New Member

navguy12 and electriceddy like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. I have also tried to find availability and had the same results.
    It is possible these companies are trying to target commercial markets first, ie High Power Battery integrated DC chargers, commercial vehicles such as trucks and buses, before releasing them in a "retail" market for general use.
    Shell, who also developed a Low conductivity EV coolant is equally hard if not impossible to find. Maybe Europe first?
    [​IMG]

navguy12 likes this.
  9. My invoice for the battery replacement shows 1 coolant / antifreeze. It shows the Hyundai part number 00232-19010. Found this with the part number search: coolant.png

10. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

So I guess I got the green stuff mixed 50/50

11. I think Castrol make Hyundai's fluid.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Well if anyone in Canada is looking for a deal on some Genuine Hyundai low conductivity coolant I have a case of 12 liters (sealed 6x2 liter jugs). I got the details in my listing in the classified section of this forum. I was going use the coolant in the Kona and then on my Ioniq 5 but now the the new GV60 just uses conventional fluid.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2022
  14. navguy12

Still available? I can’t figure out how to navigate to the classified ads :(

15. empereur

empereur New Member

Bringing back this post!
    So with the blue coolant, what if we don't change it at 60k km? is it just going to become conductive and then be the same as the green one, or is it going to decay and cause probleme to the anticoolant system/battery. And is the anti coolant systeme the same on both model? if a the change interval i switch it back to the green, would that work?
    Also, after the first inteval the green need to be change every 30k km? that's a hudge cost! why is that?
    i was having a 2019 ev kona, and changed it for a 2021 because i got trouble with paperwork.. now i regret my move!

16. navguy12

My understanding is one CANNOT mix the green with the blue coolants, ever.

And no matter how much a cooling system is purged, there will always be traces of the original coolant in the various small coolant system passageways.

As to what would happen if we just left the blue coolant there to age, no one really knows.

We will do the 36 month blue coolant swap in early August because my wife doesn’t want any battery warranty issues.

I know that in North America, a manufacturer warranty cannot be voided because one didn’t do the “recommended” maintenance at a dealership.

But at this point in my life, its easier and much cheaper to pay a dealership to do the swap versus fighting in court because your battery gave up the ghost (for reasons that could be unrelated to the coolant age).

electriceddy likes this.
  17. I am also due this fall. I do want to have a talk with the service tech first to review if the newer stuff (BC2 formula) is what is being supplied these days before having the service done.

navguy12 likes this.
  18. navguy12

I’m going with the stuff I bought last fall and is still sitting in a box…it “expires” (use by date) on 01 Sep 2023.

IMG_2420.jpeg

IMG_2422.jpeg

19. empereur

empereur New Member

Sadly I found out on another forum, someone waited at 90k km and the coolant crystalised, necessitating a pump replacement.... O__o sooooooo frustrating! I read that the fluid pricing was different depending on the market we bought, any link toward some cheap one?

20. navguy12

I don’t have any links to any cheap ones.

21. I don't think there are 'cheap' EV battery coolants. (My car has blue coolant.) Having 51,000+ km on the car AND 3 year ownership on August 31st, according the service manual I am due for the change. I have mentally prepared myself for this expense. :(:(:( The dealer quoted C$888.87 tax included. The work will be done on the 24th of August. This is somewhat below the prices listed on this forum for EV coolant change.

electriceddy likes this.
  22. navguy12

There is a formal service campaign for Hyundai to pay for this because Hyundai has acknowledged V1 of this type of coolant has produced problems with crystallization under certain operating circumstances.

My wife’s car is also due for this in August 2023; I have already spoken with the service advisor (face to face) as he brought up my wife’s VIN on his computer screen and confirmed, verbally, that Hyundai would do this service campaign item for free “the next time the car was brought in for any reason”.

Review this link for details: https://www.insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/2020-classic-ioniq-low-conductivity-coolant-crystallizing-low-coolant-level-warning.15042/page-2

electriceddy likes this.
  23. You are right- that would be a good deal "normally", however as @navguy12 mentions, there is a TSB. Here (credit @KiwiME ) you will find the copy.
    This is presumably USA so a different # for Canada is involved. You will see the dates apply to Kona EVs equipped with the BSC-1 coolant manufactured from May 7th 2019 thru Oct 12th 2021:)

Lars and navguy12 like this.