Impressions from my first 1000 mile road trip

Discussion in 'Hyundai Ioniq 5' started by Joe Ventre, Jun 23, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

Tags:
  1. Joe Ventre

Joe Ventre New Member

Just drove my Ioniq 5 on 1000 mile trip from Southwest Florida to Virginia and wanted to post something’s I found with the car. If you’ve had similar findings feel free to reply. Some general things about the trip: Drove almost the whole way using the HDA2 assist on and cruise speed set to 72mph. The drive was done in ideal weather most of the way with very little wind and outside temps running mostly around 90 degrees. Climate control set the inside a/c to 74 degrees. Most of the trip was on I-75 and I-95.
    1. I averaged 3.1 miles per kwh
    2. Charged at Electrify America stations using 350kw connection except for one stop at an FPL location. The 20 to 80 percent charge in 18 minutes chain made by Hyundai was right on. I had to charge 8 times overall and never had a problem. All charge locations worked fine, though at 3EA locations I had to start the session from the app because the screen said the sensor on the charger to read the smart phone was not working.
    3. Had about an hour of hard, misty rain that made visibility out the back window very difficult. The car really needs a rear wiper.
    4. The overall ride comfort was great, seats were very comfortable and road noise minimal.
    5. Only problem I had was with the lane changing assist. When moving to the right it worked perfectly every time but when moving to the left the car tended to overshoot the lane about 25% of the time making the lane keeping warning ding go off when it did. Similar problem occurred when driving in the left most lane on roads that curved. The car occasionally would run over the yellow line at the edge of the road, once again sounding ding. It never did this on the right side lane divider or whit line on the highway’s right edge.
    6. Adaptive cruise control to slow the car and speed up again in traffic worked perfectly every time.
    7. When using Android Auto it seems you cannot use the built radio, you have to get audio from the smartphone. If anyone knows a way to do that please let me know.

Bottomline: Great trip, great car. Certainly no regrets buying it.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Jimct

Jimct Active Member

Thanks for the post. Just a couple of comments, we've been averaging 3.5 mpkWh, the difference probably being your higher need for the AC.
    We shut the lane changing assist feature off, it took way too long to accomplish the maneuver (even setting to highest reaction speed), confusing surrounding motorists. We find the self park assist to be way too slow as well, prompting irritated horn blowing.
    The lane keep assist is awesome, a great safety feature during distractive activity such as screen functions, grabbing the coffee, etc. There's a reason for keeping the hands on the wheel, though, here in New England the road line striping can be very erratic causing the LKA to get confused.
    7 weeks with the car now, almost 2500 miles with the EA free charging has been absolutely a pleasure.

Bill Carter likes this.

4. My wife and I did a 1558 mile road trip from New Mexico to Las Vegas.
    What a great road tripping car this is. And charging is always done before we come back from our break.

ericy and electriceddy like this.
  5. Great video presentation, the graph showing the charging curve is pretty consistent, certainly a steep curve after 80% (time to get out of Dodge).
    BTW maybe keep it low key on the break even point for costing compared to gas...last thing we need is EA (or any other network) to think they are giving too good a deal.
    I think Bailey just wants a cameo:)

Last edited: Aug 14, 2022