Still a good buy?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by movemaine, Aug 13, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. movemaine

movemaine New Member

We've been shopping for a PHEV to take advantage of our newly installed solar. We had identified a used Prius Prime and are waiting for the title paperwork to finalize to the dealership so that we can purchase.
    While there, we saw a Clarity and sat it in. I'm tall and my wife is short, so she liked the seat position of the Clarity better (the seat goes higher than in the Prius).

It seems for Clarity's, the only model years I can find are the '18s. If the mileage is low 20s, is this vehicle still a good buy (not from a price perspective, but from a longevity, etc. perspective)?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

I don't think the age of the 2018 will be a problem for you. Do the research here as to how to do a battery capacity test. If the HV battery tests at 48 Ah or higher, I'd buy it without worry.

4. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

FYI:

The Clarity PHEV's were produced for 5 model years.
    You will find more 2018's because that year had the highest volume.
    Here are the US sales quantities:

2017 2,455
    2018 20,172
    2019 11,654
    2020 4,215
    2021 2,597

We have been extremely happy with our 2018 Clarity.

5. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

Used Clarity models definitely hold their value, too. I am in the process of selling my Solar Silver 2018 Honda Clarity base with 17K miles. Carmax offered me $27,600. That is what I paid for the vehicle 3.5 years ago (after the $7500 tax federal tax credit)!

What am I replacing it with? 2023 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe. Plug in hybrid. 375hp and 470lb/ft of torque. Always liked Wranglers, and the latest JL model is the most refined Wrangler. Sure it won't ride like the Honda, but it will go a lot more places and easily handle any winter weather.