Just got brakes for the first time!

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by StickWare, Jul 29, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. StickWare

StickWare Active Member

168,065 miles! Not only do I use the paddles for regenerative braking, I’ve mastered using the cruise control to slow down, or I use adaptive cruise control to stop when cars are in front of me exiting the freeway.

I still had 3mm left on them. New pads and rotors for $1200

I just ordered a BMW i4 M50 all electric. Won’t get it for 6-12 months. It’s got a B mode that applies strong regenerative braking on coasting. I’ll probably get more miles.

IMG_7895.JPG IMG_7895.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

Dang, I'd have to move the decimal point over on my 2018 Clarity current mileage... 16580. :)

4. megreyhair

megreyhair Active Member

$1200 for brakes! OUCH! That's a lot for 4 brake pads and rotors. Hope your i4 won't have battery issue as most of the i4s were recalled due to batt issue. Same issue as the Bolt.

5. dGarry48

dGarry48 Member

That's expensive brake replacement!

6. Groves Cooke

Groves Cooke Active Member

"Just got brakes for the first time!"

Gee I've had brakes since mine was new!

David in TN and LegoZ like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. ClarityBill

ClarityBill Active Member

I just replaced the front brakes at 174,030 miles. One pad was rubbing metal. The other three pads had about a mm left. Rotors were badly, unevenly rusted.

Brakes and rotors from Rock Auto for $215. Took me about 3 hours. The driver side dust shield had rusted loose, and I had to find some washers to hold it on. The rotor retaining screw on the passenger side was stuck, so I drilled it out.

Brake job was the same as any most other cars, except stuff is bigger and heavier. Alldatadiy.com has good information in subscription on their new version of the website.

(My car was totaled in an accident in January, I have replaced the headlight and pounded out the hood to keep driving it.)

9. My 2018 is at 140k, my brakes are still at 80%.

10. d99

d99 Member

168K miles is amazing. Other than brakes and tires, what maintenance have you done on the car?

11. SR2K

SR2K New Member

I just did mine all the way around at 73k, not because they were worn out, but because they were warped from rust. I went with the coated raysbestos rotors and Bosch pads, which came with all new caliper hardware too. Ended up paying $315 in parts, and did the work myself. Trickiest part was retracting the rear brake calipers without a scan tool, but that was solved with a drill battery and some wire.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I went to the Raybestos site to read about these rotors. The chuff-chuff-chuff sound of the rusted rotors makes our 2018 Clarity with 15K miles unpleasant to drive. I'll be interested to read about your experience with these rotors.
    upload_2022-10-7_21-47-23.png