-Amanda’s 2023 Mini SE Adventures

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by -Amanda, Jul 26, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. -Amanda

-Amanda Active Member

I figured I’d create my own post to document my Mini SE adventures. I enjoy taking photos and don’t want to bombard my Facebook friends with them so I’ll share them here instead .

We picked up our new 2023 Mini SE Premier in Island Blue on Friday, July 22 from Mini Calgary in Alberta . When we took delivery it had 11 kms on the odometer and 100% battery.

IMG_4052.JPG
    IMG_4061.JPG

After we finished the paperwork we took it straight to a detail shop for 3M PPF, stage 1 ceramic coat and ceramic tint (15% on rear, 75% on front). The next day we picked it up and made the 325 km drive home. We stopped and charged 3 times but could have done it in 2. We stopped early to try out a specific station.

IMG_4098.JPG

At our 1st charge stop we were at 67% with 72 kms on the odometer. We charged to 90% in 12 minutes at a cost of $4.13. We stopped here to take advantage of the free RBC charging as this is the only Petro Canada charger close to us. The station jumped up to 48 kW right away, at 83% it was at 37 kW, at 87% it was 29 kW and at 90% we stopped it at 24 kW. The 12 minutes went by so quickly.

IMG_4104.JPG

We arrived at our 2nd stop at 41% and 155 kms on the odometer. We charged to 84% in 17 minutes at a cost of $6.80. Charging peaked at 49 kW and dropped to 37 kW when we stopped.

IMG_4113.JPG

At our 3rd charge stop we arrived at 35% and 241 kms on the odometer. We charged to 83% in 24 minutes at a cost of $9.08. Charging peaked briefly at 45 kW, hovered at 40 kW for most of the charge then dropped to 29 kW by the end.

IMG_4118.JPG

We arrived home at 32% and 360 kms on the odometer. We then got to try out our new ChargePoint Home Flex.

IMG_4122.JPG

We charged for a total of 36 kWh, 53 minutes and $20.02 CAD (we pay by the minute in not by the kWh). A Better Route Planner estimated we’d arrive home with 15% remaining but we actually had 32%. The trip took just under 5 hours which included the 53 minutes of actual charging time and then some learning and finding charging station time . Google Maps estimates the driving time at 3 hours and 36 minutes.

We love the car and it is so easy and comfortable to drive. The regen braking is definitely a learning curve but putting it in low regen mode makes it smoother.

On Sunday we tried out some new foam cannon soap to wash all the bug guts off so we could take some pictures of it clean and shiney.

IMG_4129.JPG
    IMG_4138.JPG
    IMG_4148.JPG

We are planning to attend the Mini United Rally in Kelowna, BC in August which will be a 627 km trip each way. We’ll definitely be testing its road trip limits.

Thanks for sticking around and reading this far .

wessy, Ericwc, CamFG and 18 others like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

Reminds me of my 13 S, affectionately called "Blacknblue". Thanks for allowing us to take that trip with you.

4. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Nice write-up, good info… and what a good-looking car! Thanks for sharing!

5. -Amanda

-Amanda Active Member

We haven’t decided on a name for ours yet but hopefully it tells us soon .

6. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

She / he / it is a beauty in blue!

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. This is Mike Wazowski!

[​IMG]

Mike Wazowski
    & for more

Ericwc and GvilleGuy like this.
  9. Rogwp

Rogwp Active Member Subscriber

Love the story and the detail. How come no license plates? Our own journey home was uneventful, except for the shear excitement of driving a Mini. Only 74 km, no stops, full Regen all the time. Well we had to stop a long time waiting for a ferry!

SameGuy likes this.
  10. -Amanda

-Amanda Active Member

We bought in Alberta and live in BC so we had to get an in transit permit to bring it home. Got it all registered yesterday and put on the rear plate. We’ll eventually have to drill the holes for the front plate too but holding off as long as we can.

Rogwp and SameGuy like this.
  11. SameGuy

YUL
    Maybe look at the tow-hook mount option discussed elsewhere in the forum. I’d prolly risk it, mount it to the tow-hook bracket and keep it in the boot basement until I get pulled over. “Sorry, officer, it fell out and I haven’t figured out how to reinstall it… oh, the cover for the hole? Yeah, I wanted to keep critters out.”

insightman likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. AndysComputer

AndysComputer Well-Known Member

As you stopped to fast charge several times in one day and got full speeds so you happen to remember what the outside temperature was?

14. -Amanda

-Amanda Active Member

I’d say it was mid 20’s (Celsius) most of the day. We left at 3:00 pm and arrived home at 8:00 pm. I didn’t take any clear photos of the gauge cluster so can’t confirm.

15. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

AndysComputer is just curious because his local DC fast chargers are capping out at 32kW. It's going to be hard to compare because the FLO units are chubby standalone 3-phase units (98%+ power factor). While temperature can certainly play a role, I really think it's just the nature of the load-sharing modules (3x 50kW modules) from BTC Power to save money. That is, 2 DC fast charging dispensers (200kW CCS1+CHAdeMO) are connected to a single 150kW load-sharing cabinet.

The Purcells looks really nice!

-Amanda likes this.
  16. BiggieSmall

BiggieSmall Member

Wow I had no idea how expensive it was to charge up there. Makes me thankful for pricing down here...I even have a free DC fast charger that I've been using a bunch.

Hopefully it gets better for Canada soon!

17. -Amanda

-Amanda Active Member

DC fast charge rates are higher in Alberta then jn BC. Most FLO stations in Alberta are $.374 (CAD) a minute. In BC the Flo rate is usually $.26 (CAD) and I’ve seen other Non-FLO stations as low as $.21 (CAD). The per minute rate is definitely a disadvantage in Canada but most stations max out at 50 kW which makes the Mini on par with other faster charging EV’s.

It’ll be interesting to see the overall cost of our Kelowna trip vs our Alberta trips due to the difference in rates.

Rogwp and GvilleGuy like this.
  18. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

19. Rogwp

Rogwp Active Member Subscriber

That’s not the only expensive thing up here! To do that journey in my C300 would have cost me about $70

SameGuy likes this.
  20. SameGuy

YUL
    And Alberta gas is still significantly less expensive than down east. Today it’s $1.97⁹ per litre on the island of Montreal. Was as high as $2.33⁹ a few weeks ago and as low as $1.83⁹ (for one day) this week. I pay about 5.9¢ per kWh (all fees and taxes in) for electricity at home, though.

PS: at today's exchange rate, the above translate to the following in US dollars (per US gallon): $5.83, $6.88, $5.41 and 4.6¢ (per kWh).

Rogwp likes this.
  21. teslarati97

Toronto had the lowest gas prices in all of Canada since the beginning of July for some "strange" reason. For me, the variable electricity costs $0.336/kWh plus $50/mo of fixed charges home electricity. I don't really care because I have a grid tied solar PV system.

Out of all the 1,294 public DC Fast chargers in Canada, there are about 19.6% in BC, 27.1% ON, 36.5% QC for a total of 83.2% of the country's DC fast charger network, and since June 2022 96% of the iZEV rebate went to BC (29.7%), ON (13%), QC (53.2%). Goes to show you that Quebecers love $12,000+ EV rebates so much that they LOVE to get a new subsidized EV every year (cash purchase). ;)

SameGuy likes this.
  22. SameGuy

YUL
    simplex123, wessy, -Amanda and 3 others like this.
  23. teslarati97

Incroyable! You mean Quebec is greener than British Columbia's 94.6% renewable energy grid?? Technically you can also burn wood and that is considered carbon neutral as well. So that means humans have been building net zero homes pre-1800 (before the use of coal heating) and eating organic food! o_O

I believe Vermont is 100% renewable for their grid supply and maybe that Kansas City-area person should move there.

Nuclear is considered green carbon neutral energy (no CO2 emissions), but not renewable. Until the world finds a better carbon neutral renewable energy source, small nuclear reactors will be essential to reaching net zero emissions.

SameGuy likes this.