Mustang Mach E to which EV SUV?

Discussion in 'General' started by coolshades, Jun 6, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. coolshades

coolshades New Member

hello,

new to this forum.

has anyone moved from a Mustang Mach E to another SUV?

i have got a MME and while it is a fine vehicle, the bouncy ride is driving me and my family nuts. we are looking at alternatives.

there aren't many, unfortunately.

the smoothest rides seem to be the Audi Etron, the BMW IX and the Mercedes EQS ... all these have air suspension ... but they come at a hefty price tag and all of them have lower range than the MME.

the others which can be considered are:

Ioniq 5 - same or slightly lower range but smoother ride. no air suspension
    Model Y - similar range, firm ride
    Mustang Mach E GT - Magneride which seems to be better than the current MME suspension but not quite air suspension.

will appreciate suggestions

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Before replacing the Mach E, you might try different tire pressures from lowest by door jam and highest by tire sidewall limit. Tire pressure is part of the vehicle dynamics. If you do the experiment, please share the results here.

Bob Wilson

4. sniwallof

sniwallof Active Member

There are hundreds of pages on the Mach E suspension at the Mach E forum. Bottom line is there is no easy fix, some don't mind the suspension, some MME suspensions might be slightly different from each other, some MME owners get sea sick. Generally, the MME suspension was not a problem for me, but also it was as little soft (Buick like) for my preference. I only notice the problem on my first edition on some concrete patterns, which fortunately are unusual here.

I too am moving on to my next EV experiment given that now in these crazy times, I can get back my purchase price after a year and half of driving the Mach E. Originally, I just planned to move into a GTPE to try out magnaride, but now I'm less sure, especially given $5k+ dealer markups on orders, which I am not going to pay. Also, I'm not sure I really want track seats, even though the MME track seats are said to be comfortable. As many others have said, too bad magneride is not an option for the premium or GT trim levels.

I test drove the BMW I4, and did not like it. Too tight and too low for me. One pedal driving in B was a bit harsh (there may be adjustable regen that I did not find on first try). For fun, I test drove the iX, wow, it's an ultra-luxury Mach E feel for sure, about like Mach E one pedal driving, but also $30k more than I can afford! ($100k with sales tax, lowest trim configured about how I would want one).

Thinking now, my next experiment will be the Ioniq 5 limited, with all the bells and whistles. While I am not excited by the look, both the technology and ride quality are getting great reviews. Will be checking out what comes through the local dealers, otherwise might wait for the 2023 models as I hear they have improved pre-conditioning to warm the traction battery for faster, fast charge in cold temps. Some dealers still sell at MSRP, and I am definitely not paying a 10% markup.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2022
  5. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

You could swap out the stock parts to KW V3 Coilovers for about $3,000 (parts).

6. Stb105

Stb105 New Member

I really enjoy my ‘21 Volvo XC40 recharge (AWD) - ride is really nice and smooth but you’re going to get lower range. Few recent OWA updates have slightly improved range. ABRP has us around 3 (234 miles total) now which is consistent with some longer trips I just took. Driving style heavily impacts range on it.

AWD important to us in CT. My wife has a 19 Kona by comparison. We’re waiting for our ID.4 awd to replace the Kona.

hated the look of ioniq 5 and after how Hyundai treated us during the kona battery issue, we’re passing on Hyundais moving forward. But the 800v charging architecture is a nice plus on that for ultra fast charging.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. charles maass

charles maass New Member

I had ordered the MME. I went for a test drive. The car was too small. I cancelled it. (mistake) I ordered a Rivian R1S. I test drove the R1T. Loved it

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2022
  9. Rob Kaulfuss

Rob Kaulfuss New Member

This may not be entirely analogous, but my Gen2 Volt had a jittery ride which I improved with slightly higher profile and wider tires and smaller wheels. You do have to get a combo with the same diameter/circumference which you can find on tire rack. It didn't really transform the feel, though. I do know the feeling of finding what I call a "fatal flaw" with a car (like the feel of seats or transmission) that absolutely drives you nuts and becomes all you can think about whenever you drive it. There is so much to think about when you do test drives that you can sometimes miss something.

10. Homer

Homer New Member

I have the Volvo XC40. I recently sold it. I had five complete power failures. There have been at least 5 software updates to the Volvo. The forum has a thread called, "Dead as a doornail" with numerous reports of complete power loss and dead vehicles.

The car is spacious and has an OK drive. The technology is not working.

11. If you are considering the Ioniq 5, don't forget its sibling Kia EV6. I don't know what the Mach E ride is like, but I am pleased with the EV6 ride (20 inch wheels on the GT line.)

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. I haven't driven the MME, so take my comment with the appropriate grain of salt:
    I'm happy with my Model 3 and Model Y, but both have, as noted, a firm ride. The Model 3 has 19" wheels with low-profile Continental tires and, while it's a gas (!) to drive, it's a bit jiggly. The Model Y also has stock 19" wheels, but the stock Michelin tires have a higher profile, so there's more air and rubber to ride on, and it's a lot smoother. (The Model Y also seems to have more or better sound insulation, too, but that's not relevant to comparisons with the Mustang.)
    The point is, you might want to switch out the tires or tires and wheels. Or if it's, as you say, a fine vehicle, maybe give your family a little longer to get used to it.

14. M Chung

M Chung New Member

You may also want to wait for the Genesis EVs coming out. Given it’s supposed to be more luxury brand, the ride may be softer

15. Progress

Progress New Member

We recently received our Mach-E GTPE and it is clear that the MagnaRide suspension works very well. My wife prefers riding in Whisper mode because it is so smooth, while I prefer driving in Unbridled mode because it is sportier. There is no bouncy ride in any mode, agreeing with what people in other forums have also stated.

16. miatadan

miatadan Active Member Subscriber

I have the 2022 Mustang Mach-E Select RWD with no options.

I have had this for just over 1 month now. I have the 18” wheels as the streets in Sudbury area has a lot of pot holes and only highway is smooth.

Only found 1 street where I get the bouncy ride talked about in Mach-E forum.

Maybe considering Steeda aftermarket or coil over setup would help and be less expensive than charging vehicle?

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

17. altfuelcarguy

altfuelcarguy Member

The best riding evs are the Tesla Models S and X. If you need an SUV would you consider a used Model X?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Inside EVs mobile app

bwilson4web likes this.