Clarity Prices

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by TotalClarity, Mar 22, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. TotalClarity

TotalClarity New Member

My Clarity is currently worth over $7,000 more than I owe on it. I owe $18,000 and the trade in is kbb $25,000.

I'm interested in leasing a new all EV or even buying one.

Any suggestions?

Not even sure where to start.

Volvo? Mustang?

Tesla is a no, Bolt is a no.

Thanks

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. If you don't drive a hundred miles a day or mostly drive in the city, then I would give a very biased recommendation of the MINI Cooper SE. It's definitely the most fun to drive EV in the city and it's one of the cheapest ones around as well

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

4. TotalClarity

TotalClarity New Member

I mainly drive to the airport, but we do drive to a cheaper airport in the neighboring state sometimes. Thanks for the input.

5. You could start by telling us about your driving habits, what features you’d like to have, type of vehicle you are considering, budget, availability of charging options, etc.

The fact that you may have $7,000 of equity in the car doesn’t really help us help you.

6. I would say check out the Kia Niro (best rated on Consumer Reports), Kia EV6, Hyundai Ionic 5 (if you dig the 1980s vibe it has), or Hyundai Kona. Leafs are the cheapest I think. Availability and dealer markups will be a factor. Look at max charging speed each model supports if you need to take a longer trip occasionally.

This webpage may be useful comparing them all. https://insideevs.com/reviews/344001/compare-evs/

Last edited: Mar 22, 2022
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

Checked mine on KBB... '18 Clarity Base Solar Silver with 15K miles... $25K. That's only $2K less than I paid for it new in March '19!

9. Ohliuw

Ohliuw Active Member

There are a bunch of sites that would buy your car in the US (sadly none in Canada :(), and they will pay good $$$ for it. Try Carvana, some RAV Prime folks got great $$$.

the problem is that even if you sell, you can’t buy another one, at least in Canada.

the dealers are no longer accepting orders on Prime, Ariya etc. Wait times are 2-3 years.

you can still buy some useless Ioniq5 with less wait though.

I have 2 preorders on Ariya, and will for sure exchange my Prime for one (at no cost). Still debating if I should do it for the Clarity as it will cost me extra $$.

10. Mowcowbell

I'm thinking of selling mine for $25K and buying a real fun toy... 2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys edition.

11. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

But after your Clarity experience what you really want is a 2022 Jeep® Wrangler 4xe Plug-In Electric, right? Is there a Willys Edition of the Jeep PHEV or would Willy have disapproved ("can't trust all that 'lectricity!")?

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Mowcowbell

Nope. Going to go with the 2.0L Turbo 4, or the V6 Pentastar. Less things to go wrong than a PHEV. Gas prices aren't a big concern as I don't drive that much a year. Only have 15K miles on my 3 year old Clarity.

14. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

After getting 42 mpg (or much, much more counting EV miles), I'd hate to drop to the Wrangler V6's 18 city/23 highway mpg or 21/24 mpg with the Turbo 4. On the reliability plus side, you won't have to worry about your Clarity's AC condenser anymore.

Mowcowbell likes this.
  15. Here’s something to consider— If you sell and buy something else in a messed up market like we have now, that equity will likely vanish in the transaction as you pay an inflated price for whatever you buy. In other words, that $7k is a phantom not due to underlying value but to market dislocation. It giveth now but will likely taketh away in a purchase. If you don’t have to sell right now, the best financial course of action is to wait until the market returns to normal, whatever that is.

BrianRC and insightman like this.