Bought gas for the first time

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by peterkronenberg, May 25, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. peterkronenberg

peterkronenberg New Member

Just filled up my Clarity after 1000 miles. Needed 5.9 gallons to fill the 7 gallon tank, for only $17.75. Probably could have milked it for a few hundred more miles, but I'm driving from DC to NY today, so needed a full tank.

One question, however. When I bought the car, with a full tank, the range was something like 300 miles, which made sense. But now, after filling it up, it tells me the range is 730 miles. What does that mean? Could I drive for 730 miles without re-charging? I only have 39 miles of EV charge. How does it calculate this?

WindsorBoy and TeslaInvestors like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. CaryLyn

CaryLyn New Member

KentuckyKen likes this.
  4. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Welcome to the club of unlimited HV milage. It’s a systemic problem in all 2018 Claritys. It will only get worse and some have 1,000 miles showing. Please go to the thread CaryLyn referenced take the poll and use the links to make a case with Honda and the NHTSA. We are hoping that If enough people complain it will be fixed.
    The answer to your question-
    Nobody knows; other than it’s wrong.

5. Gearhead

Gearhead Member

Totally inaccurate so ignore and use your fuel gauge which has been accurate for me.

6. bpratt

bpratt Active Member

What it means is if you drive the same way you did for the first 1000 miles, you won't need to fill up again for another 730 miles. Not very useful information, but that's the way Honda designed it.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. KenG

KenG Member

No one understands this, I personally think the computer is looking at how long it took between fillups... it’s just assuming you will drive 1000 miles again.... Just my thought... it does look like the glitch goes away if you refill frequently ...I hope to never test that theory... I would certainly heed the low fuel monitor.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

9. peterkronenberg

peterkronenberg New Member

Thanks for the responses. After my trip to NY, I see that the range meant nothing. It was probably over twice the actual range.