What's the best 120V 15A Level 1 Charger?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by OhMurdock, Jan 27, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

Just because it isnt UL or TUV approved dosnt mean it isnt quality. Like food getting the Kosher or Halal etc stamp. It may meet the same requirements, just less expensive because the company doesnt feel like paying for the stamp of approval. However, having the UL or TUV stamp of approval with something electronic may let you sleep better. Since there are more electric vehicles in europe, it may be worth looking for one with TUV approval. I am not sure which is more stringent for electronics, but I know for other car, and race car parts it is pretty stringent, and many US car clubs accept it.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

The EVSE that came with our SE is limited to 10 amps. The TurboCord is limited to 12 amps. I have seen 120V EVSE available rated at 16 amps, but I don’t think they were UL. Always pays to check the fine print on all EVSE discussions/offerings.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

4. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

The problem is you just don't know if it's quality or not without the certification. Compare with all the phone fires caused by substandard knockoff charging components. There's also the issue of insurance. I can just hear the insurance company asking if a UL-approved EVSE was used and saying "claim denied!" if the answer is no.

Urbanengineer likes this.
  5. Zim

Zim Member

Clipper Creek makes a UL listed LVL 1 unit. 12 amp with a 25 food cord.

https://store.clippercreek.com/featured/pcs-15-portable-ev-charging-station

They also supplied the Gen 2 GM Volt with essentially the same unit (stock). You could probably find a used one for $200, UL, 25 foot, and 12 amps. Not cheap, for a level 1, but portable and durable.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175107539449?epid=6004257117&hash=item28c53901f9:g:sRMAAOSwLfVgxZfH

I regret giving away that unit, the charge speeds, at 12 amps, is noticable quicker over the stock Mini EVSE. We use Level 1 to charge the second EV, freeing up Level 2 for the Mini.

We haven't noticed any circuit limitations at 12 amps. Was sharing a 20 amp garage breaker with other lower draw appliances. Out chest freezer draws approximately *70 watts continuously. I'm guessing the washer OR heat pump dryer is sharing the same circuit, haven't had any issues with simultaneous use..... the same can't be said with running the dryer and a thirsty vacuum simultaneously, learned from that mistake recently.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jan 29, 2022
    OhMurdock likes this.
  6. F14Scott

F14Scott Well-Known Member

I'll amplify on this, since it is what I do/use.

I inherited a Tesla Mobile Connector when I totaled my wife's Model 3. Long story. Anyhoo, It gives the most flexibility of any mobile charger:

$275
    120V and 240V capability
    12A to 32A
    It comes with a 5-15 (standard home 120V outlet) plug, but Tesla sells other swappable plugs up to 14-50 (240V stove and RV). Other manufacturers also make some odd-sized plugs for it.
    It's heavy duty, waterproof, and UL listed.

BUT, to use it with the MINI, you need a Tesla to J1772 adapter. I have the $159 Lectron. Having it not only allows use of all Tesla home and mobile connectors, it also opens up the world of Tesla destination chargers, the 240VAC ones at hotels and shopping centers. Note that the Lectron (and other brands) do NOT adapt Tesla Superchargers, the DC ones in banks of six or more along highway routes and at dedicated charge points. Those require a financial handshake with the Tesla mothership.

SO, for about $500, the combination gets you a proven, safe, high-power connector that works with almost any vehicle (J1772 and/or Tesla), in any location, with any plug you could want.

Urbanengineer, wessy, Kirk and 3 others like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Puppethead

That really is the exact kind of mobile charger I've been looking for, but it's out of stock. And the way Tesla is these days, who knows if and when it will become available again.

With the Lectron adapter (fixed link), there's the added bonus of being able to use Tesla destination chargers at places like hotels.

Urbanengineer and F14Scott like this.
  9. OhMurdock

OhMurdock New Member

USA
    This was the answer I was looking for, I should just go with the Clipper Creek 12 Amp. The Tesla charger method sounds the best but I don't have the energy to fight and get one of those. I have two chest freezers and will downgrade to one, I just was wondering on people's experience with the 20 Amp 120V breaker using the 15 Amp outlet.

How is the charger speeds on the Mini with that 12 Amp? Say like, 30% to 100%?

10. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

You could put one freezer on a switch--rig up a double-throw switch to turn on a light that reminds you when the freezer is switched off. Getting rid of a freezer would limit the number Popsicles you can have on hand.

11. OhMurdock

OhMurdock New Member

USA
    I genuinely laughed at this, but I don't fully understand what you mean. I'm considering putting one freezer in the house at the front closet and keeping the one in the garage if I can. I have a 15 Amp outlet, but I do believe I should upgrade to the 20 Amp so I can run one freezer and the 12 Amp charger for the Mini. I need to check the power draw on these soon too. Try to find a charging solution is extremely difficult in my situation and I'm slightly getting discouraged that I'ma have to pay a ton for an electrician to come and install an outlet for me.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. OhMurdock

OhMurdock New Member

USA
  14. Zim

Zim Member

30% - 100% on the Mini? No idea, never tried. My experience with LVL 1 is primarily with the Kia e-Niro, charging up over the course of a few nights between midnight and 6 am. In that scenario I have noticed slower charging speeds with the stock Mini EVSE.

But based on the efficiency noticed with other users, 75% efficiency for starters, probably 19 hours 30% - 100%. I have used that clipper creek (LVL 1) with the Volt when we had it, we noticed 12 to 13 hours to add 14kWh to the pack (0 - 100%)

As a side note, probably redundant. But use caution with adding a 20 amp *breaker to a series of outlets that were previously on a 15 amp breaker. I'm not familiar with code standards, but I'd imagine the wire gauge will need to be sized up from the breaker for 20A.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Kirk likes this.
  15. Puppethead

12 A is 20% greater than the 10 A cable that comes with the MINI, so I'd expect a 20% faster charging time assuming same charging efficiency.

16. ghost

ghost Active Member

I tried to buy a j1772 adapter for my wife's model 3 for $100 to use our 40 a evse. They shipped the $250 connector set, which comes w the 240 v connectors. Now she's using the stock Tesla mobile evse at 32 a, and I'm using our 40 a evse for my SE.

The Tesla evse is really versatile.

17. insightman

Here's how a 3-way light switch could be used to power either the freezer or the EVSE and [FREEZER-OFF] light bulb:

upload_2022-1-29_21-51-58.png

(Note: Mini is the car Alec Issigonis created in 1959. After BMW bought the company, they uppercased the name to MINI.)

18. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

[Minor point: I find the capitalization to be pretentious. A MINI is still a Mini. And I've had an '03 (dark silver), a '13 (black and blue), a '17 (red), a '20 (also red), and now a '22 (British Racing Green). Your mileage may differ.]

19. insightman

I agree the capitalization is pretentious, but that's what BMW decided. After buying the company, BMW allowed the Mini's creator, Alec Issigonis, to submit a design for their new version of his car, but they rejected it (to no one's surprise). So although BMW kept the same letters for the name, kept the front-wheel drive, and emulated the original Mini's styling for their much larger car, a MINI is not really a Mini. I accept BMW's capitalization as a way to differentiate the two in print.

However, it's not a big deal, so not wishing to be confrontational, I'll drop my suggestion to honor BMW's capitalization.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2022
    wessy likes this.
  20. porky

porky Member

I am sure you have done your homework but when I was shopping around, I was quoted $2,600, $2,200 and $1,350 by three different installers to run a 50' cable from my basement. Also, the Federal rebate a.k.a The Alternative Fuel Infrastructure Tax Credit expired as of 12/31/2021 but the government has been retrospectively extending it for the past few years now. Finally, if you are in NJ and have PSE&G service, you can get reimbursed up-to $1,500 for the cost of installation provided you buy a Juicebox or Chargepoint charger.

21. Greenlineguy

Greenlineguy New Member

If you can find the one that comes with the Chevrolet bolt it is a very nice level one charger which also can be converted to a 240 16 amp evse through a simple plug adapter you can buy one online or make the adapter yourself!

Kirk and Martha like this.
  22. methorian

methorian Well-Known Member

This is the charger that came with my i3. I actually really like it for what it is. I've only used it a few times at work, but it's performed well. I like that it comes with the adapter to 240V 20A (16A actual). Those receptacles aren't common, but could provide a decent charge rate if available.

I have level 2 chargers at home, so I don't use it there.

If you've only got the deep freezer on the 20A circuit, you should be fine to use something like this on that circuit as well. Worst case would be your breaker tripping (assuming you've got good breaker). You could also limit your charging to 8A from the car to ensure it wouldn't pull too much, but you'll obviously get a slower charge doing that.

Ideally you'd have a dedicated circuit installed for an EVSE, 240v, and whatever amperage you'd like.

23. John321

John321 Member

You are smart for insisting on a UL approved chargers. Reputable companies will only sell UL approved chargers.

Here is a link to a company that sells level 1 and 2 chargers, has an excellent reputation and will sell only UL approved chargers

Level 1 EV Charging Stations | ClipperCreek

Their website details why it is so important to buy and install only UL approved chargers