Navigation Map Update available

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Hi.Ho.Silver, May 11, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

16 gig reformatted on Win7 (yeah I’m too cheap for a new computer) worked on first try. I’m taking Sandroad’s advice and stashing that away for future updates after erasing old update from it.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. vicw

vicw Active Member

The update all went well for me. Step 1 was almost instantaneous. Step 2 took and hour, and Step 3 took 16 minutes. I will use the Google Navigation for 99% of my needs, but it's good to have a working backup on the car, if the phone breaks down, or we get in an area with no cellular service.

I also figure that it's worth keeping the updates current, since we paid for the Nav capability, and the updates are free, for 5 years, I think.

4. vicw

vicw Active Member

Personally, I would try a new Thumb Drive. They are really inexpensive, and its got to be frustrating using so much time and energy trying to rerun the whole process over and over. Good luck, wish you success.

5. Elm

Elm New Member

OKAY! It worked - the car recognized the USB and I am downloading the update now. What was different this time around: I over-wrote the data on the drive to clear it out, I formatted the USB drive on a Mac and not a PC and I used the passenger side USB port on the Clarity. The download will finish tonight and I'll install tomorrow.

6. Elm

Elm New Member

Well that success was short lived. The drive is loaded up with the update but once again the car won't recognize the drive so I can't update the car! Grrrrrrr.

Last edited: May 19, 2018
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

:confused: "Been there, done that, bought the T-shirt!"

I'm all Mac all the time, except for this mess, where I only use my son's PC to do all the car work (on new USB drives).

9. KentuckyKen

Yeah, this is why I hate computers.
    Try wipe, format on PC (don’t even let it get close to your MAC), and use driver’s port. Good luck! Oh, and start from scratch. Let us know. We’re rooting for you!

10. Ken7

Ken7 Active Member

I am showing this to be the same update I did a few months ago. The version is 2.08 which I already had. If you already did this several months ago, don't waste your time.

11. vicw

vicw Active Member

FWIW, I had no problem with the install using the USB port on the passenger side. I suspect that isn't the problem.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Elm

Elm New Member

At last -- got-r-done. The new map is loaded. I used a different thumb drive, different brand (PNY) and size (32Gig). It was an old drive so I erased it before I formatted it and loaded the new map. I didn't try a PC this time, did it all on the Mac. Every thing behaved just as the instructions said it should.

GTO 409 likes this.
  14. KentuckyKen

Great info. Thanks
    So now we know it’s not port specific or PC or MAC specific. So if there’s a problem we should just try a different thumb drive.
    We need info like this in a knowledge base post that’s a stickie.

15. vicw

vicw Active Member

I agree. I believe that the Thumb Drive is the likeliest suspect when there is an issue, and they are very cheap. I wouldn't even bother with formatting a fresh new, name brand Thumb Drive on a PC. I did verify that mine was formatted by the manufacturer as FAT32, then took it directly to the car. I like your idea about a sticky.

Johnhaydev likes this.
  16. qtpie

qtpie Active Member

I have similar issue. I have two USB sticks, 16GB and 32GB. Both are same brand (Corsair Voyager) and formatted with FAT32. Our Clarity can recognize the 16GB stick, but not the 32GB stick. Kinda strange. I'll test with other USB sticks to see if there's any compatibility issue.

17. Ken7

Ken7 Active Member

So my experience is a bit different. I tried several times to get the Garmin app to recognize my USB stick on my Mac. Each time it searched and searched and found nothing. I took the same stick over to my PC, downloaded the Garmin software and 'bang', it instantly recognized the same USB stick.

So at least in my case there is something Garmin didn't like about my Mac (running the latest OS on the Mac).

18. vicw

vicw Active Member

If you are compiling a list of compatible Thumb Drives, I can offer that I used a new SanDisk Cruzer Glide 16GB , with a PC on Windows 10, with no problem.

19. qtpie

qtpie Active Member

It seems that only 16gb sticks would work. It would be sad if this is true. USB sticks are cheap nowadays so many people tend to get larger capacity sticks. If this is the case the it’s a bug in software; it should be able to recognize sticks up to 128gb.

Sent from my iPad using Inside EVs

20. vicw

vicw Active Member

I agree that it would be very unfortunate if the capacity is that limited. The instructions specify that the drive must be at least 16 GB, which seems to be a good recommendation, since the data files are currently close to 8 GB (7.09 GB), and likely to expand with future updates, but it should accommodate larger drives.

Have you experienced failure on a variety of 32GB Thumb Drives?

21. JohnRev

JohnRev New Member

Hello,
    I used a 32 gig Scandisk thumb drive for the update. No problem encountered. It took 30 minutes to download the file from Garmin and 10 minutes for the update (in-car). Godspeed.

22. bpratt

bpratt Active Member

I also used a 32 gig Patriot thumb drive for the update which worked. Since it must be formatted FAT32 which only supports 32 gig, I wonder if any thing larger would fail.

23. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

I do agree it is a tedious process. But I understand how it came about.

We've been using Garmin GPS devices since 2005. Garmin has never been good at software, neither on the PC nor on the GPS device. Their user interface used to be awful but has gotten better over the years. If you think poorly of the Clarity map update process you should have seen the software 10+ years ago. The search algorithm in the GPS devices, and the Clarity, sucks big-time by being slow and not finding strings within strings.

The way the PC software works for handheld or dash mounted GPS Garmin devices is you bring the device to the computer and plug it into a USB port. They simply took that same approach with the Clarity but you can't bring the device to the PC. So they designed the work-around to plug the USB thumb drive into the car essentially making the thumb drive the GPS device. Once the thumb drive is plugged into the PC the Garmin software treats it as a GPS device. Clunky and time consuming but it works.

I must say though that Garmin is a to notch company when it comes to support. They have been very responsive with me the few times I needed support. Their software is clunky but it does work.

I used a 32GB thumb drive with similar times reported by others. I had to sit in the car for about 20 minutes with the car on which sucked. The car, initially fully charged, actually went back into charge mode after sitting in the garage switched on for those 20 minutes.