Build Back Better EV Tax Credit

Discussion in 'General' started by runbikeski, Nov 8, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. runbikeski

runbikeski New Member

Sorry, I'm sure this has been beaten to death but there is one question I cannot find the answer to.

With the Build Back Better act tax credit will it apply to vehicles purchased after 2021 or will it also apply to 2021? I have got a tesla on order that should be here in the next month. I'm not sure if it's possible but should I try to defer delivery till 2022 so I can get this tax credit (if it does pass)?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. As far as I understand (and I don't know the details of the new tax credit) with a Tesla you don't get the tax credit. I believe the 200k cars limit still applies?
    Please correct me if I'm wrong.

4. The Build Back Better act (BBB) has not passed yet. The infrastructure bill passed but it does not contain an EV tax credit. It did contain funding for charging infrastructure but not the EV tax credit. As Esprit1st said the existing EV tax credit is limited to the first 200k cars from a manufacture so it does not apply to Tesla or General Motors at this time.

The BBB still needs be voted on by both the House and the Senate and then the bill has to be reconciled to both chambers.
    It is unlikely this will happen before December if it passes at all this year. It is also unclear what the finial wording and amount of the EV tax credit that will remain in the bill if it passes this year.

5. S L .

S L . Active Member

the bill states it will be effective when it is approved or after Dec 31,2021, whichever is later

6. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Well-Known Member

Everything is tentative until the final bill is voted on and passed by both houses of Congress. There's not much you can do but sit and wait. I would not make a purchase decision based on what appears to be in the bill now, if the tax credit or lack thereof is a dealbreaker.

7. To remove this ad click here.