Battery Recall for Canadian Kona Owners

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by mcsquared, May 31, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. There's really no way of knowing until it's all over. Dealers speak about things all the time that they really don't know much about and, God knows, there's a ton of speculation on these forums too. I know it's a hobby for me lately! It all boils down to Hyundai doing absolutely nothing to clarify, apologize, or generally just communicate effectively. There's no reason whatsoever that Hyundai couldn't explain their approach and be honest about the scale of their issues and the idiosyncracies of the process. Empathy comes from understanding and Hyundai could have gone a long way to humanizing themselves and creating patience by being in touch and being up front. They've chosen to be faceless and corporate.

navguy12 likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. So dumb question but... I bought my Kona at a dealership I've never gone back to. All servicing has been done at a closer dealership since Day 1.
    I've been bugging the latter (closest to me / not where I purchased) about the battery replacement... Should I call the one where I bought the Kona? Or does it not matter as long as I bug someone? :D

I also get the message/updated letter when I check with my VIN online saying they will replace my battery, not inspect it. Can't wait to get this over with... Has to be before winter as 80% in December won't cut it.

4. I don't think it's a dumb question at all. I think there's a very strong chance that the relationship between VINs and the original dealer is much stronger than VIN to owner. It's another potential bugaboo in your process. I'd call the original dealer if I were you and try to establish a relationship with them as well as making sure they have your contact details because I really think it's going to be the dealer who contacts you when a battery comes in not Hyundai.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
  5. When I contacted Hyundai Customer Service on Tuesday I asked if they could at least tell me what dealer they have associated with my VIN and it was the dealer we purchased at. Try giving CS a call to find out.

Wildeyed and MGrognon like this.
  6. Thanks and will do then. Not sure why it didn't cross my mind before now (also would have been nice if the dealership I go to mentioned this as they are aware I did not purchase it there).

Wildeyed likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Not surprising about the dealership. Mine would/could not even tell me whether I'm on their list for battery replacement.

I hope you get a good response from CS.

9. Hi,

I got the call this morning for the battery replacement, it will be done next week. For information, the dealer started receiving batteries in July. (2 July, 3 August)
    I got my car February 2019 here in Montreal (Hyundai gabriel)

navguy12 and Wildeyed like this.
  10. Alexstd

Alexstd New Member

That's great! Got my kona from Hyundai Longueuil same time as you, built is 12/27/2018 and still no news and gift card.

Wildeyed likes this.
  11. Not good news but thanks for the feedback anyway!

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Robxrob

Robxrob New Member

I went in for my "inspection"... They performed 2 recalls on it. One on the BMS and the other was another software update.

I noticed my range had changed which I guess is a good sign since it shows that the software had been updated and whatever data that existed was wiped.

I was told that my file will be sent to Hyundai and they will send me a digital credit card via email (luckily I checked what they had on file as it was of course wrong). The service manager said that once they know they are receiving the battery they will contact me ASAP and that once it is physically in the building they have been asked to have the procedure done within 48 hours (he said that they have been asked to do the installations as quickly as they can... Maybe they lose priority if they take their time?)

So it looks like I might only get a few days notice if I'm lucky, though there was no timeframe as to when it might happen.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

navguy12 and Wildeyed like this.
  14. ehatch

ehatch Active Member

It really can't when it's a physical battery defect which the Bolt has,and likely shares with the impacted konas.The Bolt post updates still caught on fire in one case to date.

navguy12 likes this.
  15. Well, I would update to say that Hyundai has updated the recall notice(s) on its owners webpage. At last glance the "R" webpage remains unchanged.

16. KonaTom

KonaTom Well-Known Member

Battery replacements are now happening in Canada. Went to my dealer here on Vancouver Island, and they were just finishing a battery replacement. They said they are doing around 3 per week, and since I was in the first batch of deliveries, I should expect something in the next month. They said Hyundai Canada sends them a list of VIN's for the next replacements and the dealer calls the customers. I drove around the back and saw the lift they used and the empty battery boxes, so I guess they were truthful. Yahoo!

17. Well hopefully with a Dec 2018 build date I'll be getting that call soon as well KonaTom!

Btw, we have twin Ultimates :)

18. KonaTom

KonaTom Well-Known Member

Yes, and both dec 2018 builds

EVatLast likes this.
  19. That's good news for me! I suspect we have the same dealer in Duncan. My posts above were what the dealer told me about replacement.

20. I hope they ship them to Ontario soon. Seems like it's Quebec and BC so far. I'm a Dec. 2018 build too so I have fingers crossed that early dates matter.

navguy12, EVatLast and electriceddy like this.
  21. Add me and we are triplets! I am sure we have all passed each other at some point since we all appear to be on the island. I am currently sporting kayak antlers, so honk if you see me! My build date is late 2019, though. Little sister?

KonaTom, EVatLast and electriceddy like this.
  22. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

KONATOM asked the dealer about the $5.00 a day program. I was told about it by my dealer here in Victoria it was started June 1st for $5.00 a day until the battery was replaced up to $850. I never saw the paper but how could my dealer make that up.

Kirk likes this.
  23. Yep, Duncan triplets. I'll honk if I see antlers go by :)

KonaTom likes this.