Just Received 10 years Extended Factory Warranty For Leaking AC Condenser

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by J Wong, Jul 16, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. J Wong

J Wong New Member

After 2 years my 2018 Clarity AC stopped cooling. I have filled Freon to my other cars before so I bought a kit for it. It takes a new Freon 1234yf with a new fill nib. An 8 oz can of freon is about $60 a can when I bought it, I believe it's about $25 to $35 a can now. Refilled and it was back normal again, till now it was low again. Apparently I have one of the slow leaking Condensers that is "recalled". Free fix, and any outlay for a fix from other garages will be reimbursed. FYI

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Groves Cooke

Groves Cooke Active Member

Just got my notice today also (2018 Clarity Touring). I have not had any A/C problems yet.

4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I may have been the first to report a Clarity A/C condenser failure in 2018. It was fixed quickly under warranty and I didn't have to pay for the refrigerant. I'm too lazy to read the warranty extension info that arrived in the mail today to see if my replacement condenser is covered. In most cases, I believe Honda warranties replaced parts for 3 years, so it's probably not covered anymore.

5. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

I also received the notice a few days ago (2018 Clarity Base - 11K miles). I haven't had any A/C problems to date, but with only 11K miles I haven't driven it very much over 2.5 years.

6. SThomas219

SThomas219 Active Member

Mine went out last year and it took months before the parts came in. Didn't get it fixed until last September which was all done under warranty. Dealer had ordered the part 4 months prior. Lease is up in October so this notice means nothing to me. But for those who didn't have an issue or are experiencing it. Get what you can!

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. J Wong

J Wong New Member

It is now, the extended warranty is for 10 years, unlimited mileage.

neal adkins likes this.
  9. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Our A/C condenser failed in 2018 with around 3K miles on the ODO. I hope you continue to be lucky.

10. neal adkins

neal adkins Active Member

I received the warranty extension notice this week also. Mine is a 2108 clarify with 35k miles. My ac gets plenty of use but still works great.

ICanBreakIt and Johnhaydev like this.
  11. Jim1960

Jim1960 Member

Thanks for the notice! I did not get anything from Honda. But I inquired at my dealer, and they assured me that my 2018 Clarity Touring was covered. I have not had any issues (though I have probably used the AC fewer than a dozen times.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. hanman

hanman Member

I received my notice 3 days ago, but the AC seems to working fine so far on my 2018 Clarity 11,000 miles 2 years and 11 months of usage

14. coutinpe

coutinpe Active Member

I received mine yesterday. So far the A/C is standing up to the Las Vegas heat. Fingers crossed...

15. Valente

Valente Active Member

My AC went out Sept, 2019 at 40,000 mi. Dealership recharged with refrigerant for $300. Then AC went out again on May 2020 at 48,000 mi. They said it was evaporative cooler at cost of $2,000. Fortunately, I purchased extended warranty however, it took 4 months to get evap cooler due to pandemic. Right now my car has 70,000 mi and AC has been great .........so far. I did receive the AC warranty notice from Honda.

Johnhaydev likes this.
  16. Atul Thakkar

Atul Thakkar Active Member

I had same problem. Dealer in Canada asked to pay 300 and filled up freedom. Now it works. They said now u have 1 yr warranty. If anything happens I am covered. I hope all is well.

17. My wife noticed the A/C won’t cool the car this weekend. Brought it into the dealer for diagnosis. I will let you all know what they find out. I am hoping it is the condenser covered under the extended warranty. Service tech said they have repaired two recently for that although probably not a Clarity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

18. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

Cooling season is just getting underway for a large portion of the US.
    It will be interesting to see of there are a rash of these as people attempt to run the AC for the first time in many months.

19. Yes it hit 80F here, otherwise she would not have noticed. Dealership called and said it was indeed the condenser and would be done tomorrow no charge. We had 46,000 miles in salted roads during winters before it failed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrFixit likes this.
  20. Geor99

Geor99 Active Member

My AC went out last week. I bought a Freon 1234yF kit at O'Reilly (similiar to Autozone) for $55. It was as easy as pumping gas. No tools were required and I refilled the freon in my Clarity in 5 minutes. Tip: The freon can nozzle does not screw onto the Low pressure fitting in the Clarity. This almost had me return it. You simple press the fitting with your finger and "pop" it onto the low pressure car fitting. Its super easy, and you'll get what I am describing, when you stop trying to screw it on:)

It now blows ice cold, as good as it ever did. Next time, assuming that it leaks again, I will go to the dealership like you did. Quick question: how long did your recharge last until it stopped blowing cold air again?

21. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

Examine the condenser through the front grill. If it is leaking, you may see an oil stain over a portion of the condenser. If you don't see anything, it could still be leaking (in a spot that is behind or hidden), but if you do see oil (and no apparent physical damage, like a stone hit), this likely points to the known defect and there should be no problem getting a free fix at the dealer.

Let us know if you can see anything, and how long your refill lasts.

22. J Wong

J Wong New Member

My refill lasted a year and a half. Turned out that one of my seal to the AC High Pressure hose was leaking. Bad news for me, because it costed me about $550 for the test and replacement hose. I would have thought they would just change the O ring seal, but nope.

23. megreyhair

megreyhair Active Member

An oring cost a few dollars whereas a hose a few hundred!