I was told today because of recall 200, Hyundai wants buy back our cars

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Mattsburgh, May 11, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

Tags:
  1. When did you initially open a case?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Big News! Just got a call from our Hyundai Dealer in Nanaimo. We've been scheduled in for a battery replacement to address the recall the week of July 26. (We'll have use of a loner during the time).

So Hyundai got just under the wire when it came to fulfilling its statement to me a few weeks ago when it denied our request for a long term loaner until the fix was applied when they said they would have batteries "in July".

Toolworker, Wildeyed and electriceddy like this.
  4. And this is a standard recall fix? Not a bricked vehicle repair?

5. correct.

Wildeyed likes this.
  6. So I'll ask you: did you get a "second letter" from Hyundai Canada explaining the "resolution"? It's great to hear about movement but the scattershot nature of it is bugging me.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. I have gotten no official correspondence by mail since the original recall letters. The only communication I have had since then has been with Hyundai Canada customer service as I tried to negotiate a long term loaner. They denied me twice. First by notification by phone, then with an email. But they did make good on their promise to put me at the head of the line for a replacement.

Sent from my iPad using Inside EVs

Wildeyed likes this.
  9. Thanks. Please let us know if/how the battery swap turns out.

Chris Alemany likes this.
  10. NRH

NRH Active Member

I got an email reply and a phone call from Hyundai (in response to my request for a speedy resolution or buy-back, about 2 weeks ago). They said that dealers are prepared to schedule battery replacements, and I should call the dealership.

I called the dealer, and they said I'd be their first, and he read the campaign instructions that were attached to my car's profile in his system. He said we'd be his first, and it might take them awhile to navigate this first one with Hyundai, including getting tools and all necessary parts. He also apologized and said that they had no loaners available right now.
    I scheduled a one-day appointment in 3 weeks for them to get the process started, with the understanding that I'd take the car home at the end of the day, and then they could figure out when they are ready for the next step. (There's definitely not a stack of batteries waiting at my dealership!)

I then replied to Hyundai USA to update them, and ask them to figure out a loaner for me, since we don't live in a place where we can get around without a car (dealership is 30 miles from us, and we live in the woods). Hoping that they're willing to sort that out, since I'm not inclined to pay out of pocket for this one, especially considering what's already been expected of owners, regarding the lowered range for the past 4 months!

11. NRH

NRH Active Member

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Hamilton

Hamilton New Member

Marsha, I'm in WA too, I messaged you. Thanks for your time if you could reply. :)

14. Another downeast Mainer here. Bangor dealer?

15. I don't have any way to lift the car but I have crawled under and contorted myself and could not see this sticker anywhere on the visible sides of the battery casing. This is the only one I could see. Can anyone translate Korean?

Attached Files:

16. Ed C

Ed C Active Member

Hey, if anyone in this board have gotten the same thing as I did in regards to requesting a vehicle buy-back, please let me know.

I requested a buy-back back in May 2021 from Hyundai Corporate. My car is a 2019 Kona EV, which I purchased in full by cash, here in Los Angeles, California.

This is the 'Determination' Letter which I got from Hyundai a few days ago:

"Thank you for contacting Hyundai Motor America (“HMA”). We have reviewed your vehicle’s repair history and evaluated your request. Based on our investigation of the repair history to date, we have determined that repurchase is not warranted under the California Lemon Law. A fix for recall 200 is now available. You will be contacted by one of our representatives to make an appointment to have recall 200 completed.
    To the extent you disagree with our evaluation, if there is any additional or new information that you would like us to consider, such as photographs, videos, or another repair order, we are willing to reevaluate this matter upon receipt of those materials.
    Please note that any remaining terms of your vehicle’s limited warranties as set forth in the Owner’s Handbook and Warranty Information continue to apply.
    We would also like to take this opportunity to remind you that you may take advantage of the following alternative dispute resolution (“ADR”) program provided by HMA:
    BBB AUTO LINE
    BBB National Programs, Inc.
    1676 International Drive, Suite 550
    McLean, VA 22102
    1-800-955-5100
    The BBB AUTO LINE program, which performs arbitration services on disputes such as this one, is provided at no cost to you, and is part of HMA’s effort to provide an impartial third-party organization to equitably resolve concerns such as yours. To begin the ADR process, simply call the BBB National Programs at the number listed above and you will be sent a Customer Claim Form, along with a handbook describing how BBB AUTO LINE works. A decision is ordinarily rendered within forty (40) days of AUTO LINE’s receipt of a properly completed Customer Claim Form. BBB would then mail you a copy of the arbitrator’s decision and, if accepted by you, Hyundai would be required to comply with the decision of the arbitrator within certain time limitations. BBB would, thereafter, verify that the arbitrator’s decision had been completed. Again, this service is offered to you at no cost and if you do not agree with the BBB’s decision, it is not binding on you, but any BBB decision in your favor is binding on HMA should you choose to accept it.
    Please contact me if you have any questions. You can reach me directly by phone at (833) 462-8722 (ext: 65073) or through HMA’s website at https://owners.hyundaiusa.com/us/en/contact-us.html."

So, I am a bit confused as to how some Kona EV owners are offered buy-backs, while others like me does not. In addition, there is no specifics as to the 'fix' for recall 200.

Any thoughts? Anyone?

17. SeanH

SeanH Active Member

It appears as though there was a period of time between when recall 200 was announced, and before packs arrived in the country, that Hyundai was offering buybacks to those who asked. (There is some evidence that at least some people at HMA may not have believed they would ever get replacement packs in the US)
    As the packs are now being distributed, they are not offering buybacks anymore.

ericy likes this.
  18. I can't answer your question but I would recommend that you do call them back and demand that you get the details of the "fix" in writing. If you succeed you will be the first to do so.

19. I'm not trying to be combative or anything but where's the proof that packs are available and being distributed?

20. I spoke to the service manager at my Hyundai dealership. I explained my concern that the 200 recall was completed and closed out. He then explained the procedure. They do take a photo of the label, uploaded to Hyundai corporation then they determine if the pack needs to be replaced or just a software update needs to be applied. In my case they determined the pack was fine and then applied the update. I continued to express my concern and ask him about charging to 100% and he said no problem.
    I can't do much more than that except enjoy driving my 2019 Kona Ultimate!

Mattsburgh and doggyworld like this.
  21. To partly support SeanH's comments, if you sort through all the rubbish present in the Kona Electric Facebook group there have been numerous reports from US owners that their pending buybacks have been canceled or new applications refused because of the claimed imminent arrival of replacement batteries. A few have appointments for the replacement and a few have taken their cars in and they are sitting there because the dealer was unprepared to carry out the work immediately. One reported the dealer would not release his car until the work was done. A few owners already have new packs mostly because their cars bricked.
    Aside from that here in NZ we've had word one week ago from our importer that a shipment for our cars has left S.K.

22. Nothing here points to them being available or distributed. In fact it indicates there are none available and none distributed. Appointments, failed and yet to come, are not replacements.

23. Ed C

Ed C Active Member

I got in touch with a Hyundai dealer in regards to recall 200 fix.

Not everyone will get battery replacements. Only the ones that Hyundai secretly determined needs to be changed will be changed. If your battery does not need to be changed, all you get is another software update.

I guess I am getting screwed by Hyundai. They will not offer buy-backs now claiming they have a fix for the battery. But the fix is not replacement for everyone, but yet another software patch if your battery is deemed not at risk.

As for being able to charge to 100%, the dealer does not have an answer, but to continue keeping it to 80%. The funny thing is the dealers does not even have any batteries available yet. The recall appointment is to determine if your battery needs to be changed, and if so, then paperwork will be submitted to Hyundai for the battery to be shipped. According to the dealer, it can take weeks.

I can see a lawsuit coming, do anyone of you?

MarshaH and BC-Doc like this.