35 km HV range disappeared

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Paddy, May 21, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Paddy

Paddy Member

When I filled up my tank this Monday, the HV range showed 567 km. But it became 532 km yesterday. I’m pretty sure I have always been on EV. This was not the first time. What’s it? A software bug or a real-time correction feature?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Those numbers are estimates, assuming that you keep driving the way you have recently. You drove, apparently differently (speed, hills) than it's prior recent experience, so it adjusts the projected range

Kerbe likes this.
  4. Probably both. A 567km/350mile estimate is pretty optimistic unless you’ve been averaging 50mpg or whatever the km/l equivalent is up there. I’ve seen some high estimates after a fill up, but haven’t filled up frequently enough to notice a correction pattern. The estimate certainly becomes more accurate after using a gallon or two, but it could also be adjusting after a few drives in EV, although I can’t say that I’ve noticed such behavior.

The fuel level sensors on every vehicle I own or have owned, seem to be calibrated to measure a full tank when the tank is ~90% full. This makes inaccurate readings an industry standard. Now add a “smart” computer to the mix and it just adds more bad intel.

At 40-42mpg, my abacus comes up with 280-294 miles, or 450-475km in HV.

5. Paddy

Paddy Member

Agreed, probably both. I only drive in HV mode when I am already on highway. I guess my fuel economy should be pretty good in the computer’s eyes. But after driving in EV mode for some in-town trips, the computer might decide to recalculate the range based on the last few trips. I can’t say that’s wrong. It really depends how I am going to consume the gas in my future trips. The computer has no way to predict.
    But from user experience’s perspective, I would have the algorithm to do the correction after 1/4 or 1/3 of the gas is used. It should be okay unless I’m driving across a desert and there is no is no gas station along the 500+km trip

6. Modern cars update the range estimate constantly as fuel is consumed. It’s just current mpg x remaining gallons. To me it wouldn’t make sense to have the range estimate sit at 300 and then suddenly drop to 200 after 1/3 of the fuel was consumed. Depending on that sort of information would make for an interesting last 1/3 of the tank.

I’m still analog. My old 2005 Jetta diesel always went about 500 miles before the low fuel light came on. Just reset the trip odometer and within about 15 miles either side of 500, the light would come on. No need for any assistance from outside forces.

Of course, none of that explains why the HV range estimate changes when no fuel is used.

7. To remove this ad click here.