Can You Hypermile in a KONA electric?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by JSU, Apr 18, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. JSU

JSU New Member

Here's a video I just posted on YouTube about how I recently figured out how to coast while in Regen Level 3 which is opening up a whole new world of kWh sipping activities for me. I also did the music so if you don't care about hypermiling, you can at least tap your foot for a couple of minutes.

If you have any hypermiling tips, please comment away!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Recoil45

Recoil45 Active Member

How do you manage road rage and the rudeness of hypermiling?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. JSU

JSU New Member

When I try to do this, it's usually when traffic is light, and I try to keep up with the speed limit. I have not experienced any road rage or rudeness from anyone. It's more of just having fun with efficiency, and the game is over when others show up behind me.

5. Thanks for the nice video with the color changing Halo, I never paid much attention.
    When I have an interest in consumption, I find it much easier to use the "electricity use" in the energy information screen (under the menu options). The regeneration is displayed under the "drivetrain" section of the menu and will indicate exactly kW consumed or recuperated real time.
    Additionally interesting is the amount of regen can be much higher than the ~78kW max charging rate on the charge curve although for a limited duration ;)

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
  6. Recoil45

Recoil45 Active Member

We thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wildeyed likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Pobre

Pobre Member

looks like too much work to me in order to save a fraction of a kilowatt...

9. Also, if you're going to all this trouble, why wouldn't y drive in Eco or Eco plus?

10. JSU

JSU New Member

I prefer the power curve of Normal Mode vs Eco Mode. I do sometimes drive in Eco with Climate Mode hard set to Normal in the Winter to help tame the accelerator pedal in icy conditions, but I feel that I get the same efficiency numbers in either Eco or Normal since I've tweaked the climate setting from Eco to Normal.

I was just excited to find out something new about my Kona after having it for 2 years. I noticed that "partial halo" when I looked down sometimes so I wanted to figure out what that signified, and I wanted to share that since it's not documented as far as I know. I equate that partial halo to be the key to know when you're coasting, or close to coasting while in Normal Drive mode and when you use regen.

Wildeyed likes this.