For current owners: how does data usage work?

Discussion in 'XC40 Recharge' started by SeanH, Apr 13, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. SeanH

SeanH Active Member

Hi, hopefully some current owners can help me out.
    I'm trying to figure out how data usage works on the car.
    I know the car has its own LTE radio.
    I also have read that you can add the car to a phone plan. Volvo says that it comes with a "3 month (or 3GB, whichever comes first) complimentary data plan provided through AT&T"
    I also know you can tether your phone to the car. I'm trying to figure out which is used and how.

I see that Volvo says that a "4-year subscription to Google Services included". Presumably this is separate from the 3 month AT&T plan referenced above.
    Does that mean that maps data doesn't require another data connection (Phone plan and/or tethered phone)?
    Does that mean that downloading things from the play store doesn't require another data connection (Phone plan and/or tethered phone)?

How do apps that you install (Spotify, Tune-in, etc) access data?

Thanks!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. John Lilly

John Lilly Member

Not sure, but I’d bet that the 3 month AT&T data plan has to do with providing a cellular hot spot. Think that other in-car internet services are covered for 4 years.

Anyone, please let me know if you know different information. I’ve had my Recharge all of this year to date and have not signed up for any data services, but maps and Google Automotive apps keep working.

Sent from my iPad using Inside EVs

4. SeanH

SeanH Active Member

Do you use other apps like Tune-In and Spotify? Do those work without an additional contract?

5. jlilly

jlilly New Member

They do work.

6. Hi. Our 2022 Recharge seems to use our phone’s data for apps like Spotify. There is as setting in the profile menu to allow this.

7. To remove this ad click here.