Question for current Kona EV owners

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Trmn8er, Mar 19, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. 228ra

228ra Member

The lease deals on 2020 models are incredible right now if you can locate one. I’m paying $6300 all in for 36 months and 10K miles per year, which takes into account the $2500 Massachusetts rebate. This is for the Ultimate model, $47K MSRP!

Trmn8er likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Trmn8er

Trmn8er New Member

An update regarding my search. My credit is not perfect but ok. I have been looking at a 2021 SEL lease but there are none here in SoCal. The only available Kona EV here are Limited and Ultimate. The Limited as you all know is substantially more expensive over SEL. Is the Limited a nice upgrade over SEL? How does 385 per month after incentives including taxes for a zero down 36 month lease with 15k miles? It’s about 50 to 60 per month more than an SEL would have been. Thoughts? I may do this tomorrow. Thanks

4. Trmn8er

Trmn8er New Member

I wish we paid 2.88 per gallon. We pay over 4 bucks a gallon for premium which I run in my Infinity which I would replace with the Kona. And we pay less for power so it makes even more sense to go EV here based on gas prices. Yikes

5. Genevamech

Genevamech Active Member

That's roughly what I was offered on my 2020 SEL, and was about what I figured it would be. I asked to reduce the miles to 10K instead of 15K (if I reach 6K/yr that's a lot of driving for me) and the total is about $325/mo.

Limited has LED headlights vs the SEL's halogen projector type, has a sunroof, and powered leather seats vs the SEL's manual adjust cloth seats. That's it, really. Mechanically all three trims are identical.

So I guess if you like sunroofs you're getting a better deal than I did! :D

Trmn8er likes this.
  6. If I have to name one thing that I am not so satisfied with, it is the trunk space. It is really small. But other than that, you get a lot of car (and features) for the money.

I bought my new Kona 2020 a month ago (I got a nice discount because they just released the Kona 2021 which does not differ that much in specs) and just love driving it.

Trmn8er likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Trmn8er

Trmn8er New Member

4D2A6561-8EED-4509-8B2D-EC7A7E3B65F0.jpeg AF16A1C2-5E3F-4409-8590-D447CF7ED566.jpeg

Update: I got the Kona today! A 2021 Pulse Red and Black leather Limited for a better deal than I thought. 15k mile lease zero down 365 per month include all taxes. And I get another $2000 check from SCE too which I did all the paperwork for today. Pretty excited and the additional rebate will make like 6 car payments. Here are a couple photos.

John Lumsden, Clamps, DaveO and 7 others like this.
  9. It looks like the shine on the faces in the second photo out gleams the first.
    Happy to hear everything worked out well for you and enjoy :)

Trmn8er likes this.
  10. Great choice for colour and trim...:)

Trmn8er likes this.
  11. Genevamech

Genevamech Active Member

Happy (electric) motoring! Glad you got a deal you're satisfied with!

Trmn8er likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Well-Known Member

Congrats on your new Kona! I predict you will love it. The vast majority of owners seem deliriously happy with their purchase, myself included. I also predict that after a few weeks with the Kona you will never want to drive a gasoline-powered car again.

Trmn8er likes this.
  14. Vlad

Vlad New Member

I just leased a 2021 Kona SEL Trim 3 weeks ago. So far I love it. I love the torque, and the smooth ride. I just wish it had more cargo room but I knew what I was getting. The rear camera does not beep when you get too close to something but you can see everything on the camera anyway.

I took advantage of a great lease offer posted on hyundaiusa.com. $1,999 down and $199 a month. I got that down to $1,999 down and $129 a month through haggling, negotiating, and popping out rebates at the last minute that the dealer was not aware I was eligible for. One tip I learned the hard way, DO YOUR RESEARCH, and never mention anything about rebates in the beginning of negotiating a lease deal. If you do, when the dealer presents you with the offer, he will say that the rebates are included in the offer, which they are not. Get a last and final offer from the dealer on paper, AND THEN say "ok so this is your final offer? Well I am eligible for this and that rebate so that reduces your offer by X". After he presented his final offer to me, I threw the rebates at him and he was not too happy, but I got $3,000 taken off! Also, ask for a FlexCash rebate on top of any other ones that you are automatically eligible for, i.e. veterans rebate, recent college grad, state rebate, etc. All of these rebates are separate from the federal $7,500 tax rebate. You get the $7,500 tax rebate at the end of the year when you do your taxes. All of the other rebates I mentioned you get at the dealership and they get knocked off the final lease offer right then and there, not at the end of the year (had a dealer try to give me that B.S.).

BC-Doc likes this.
  15. MSimpsonNJ

MSimpsonNJ Active Member

Don't take my word for it, confirm it with your accountant or tax attorney if you have one, but assuming you are in the US, you cannot take the $7500 tax incentive when you lease. The tax incentive goes to the owner (which is whoever you leased from, probably Hyundai). Hyundai offers such good lease incentives because they are getting that tax break.

FlexTail and Ronny like this.
  16. Vlad

Vlad New Member

I stand corrected, you are 100% correct. The dealership can choose to share some of that future rebate with you at the time you sign the lease deal, but it is not required to. It is up to you to fight for it.

17. You'll be very happy with your choice Trmn8er.