Does anyone here have very high mileage on their Clarity yet? 100k+? Long post...

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Casey Martin, Feb 5, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Casey Martin

Casey Martin Active Member

I am currently leasing my Clarity plug in. My intention from the beginning was to purchase it at the end of the lease. I did a 30 month lease at 20k miles per year. For full disclosure I am a sales manager at a Honda dealer and have been for over 20 years. The lease deal was so good back in 2018 it was too hard to pass up. Since it was a leased vehicle the then available $7,500 tax credit would immediately come off of the selling price when leased since Honda would get that money later. They just passed it on immediately if it was leased. Which with the cashback and discount that was available then I was basically able to lease it for ~$13k below the MSRP. Since the money factor/interest rate was almost zero as well the deal was just too good to pass up.

Anyways, I drive about 25k miles per year. I currently have just over 51k on my Clarity now. Besides normal oil changes and tires I haven't had many issues besides an odd Sirius XM issue that was eventually corrected. I also had/have an odd brake warning light issue which triggers other issues if I don't come to a complete stop when backing out of my long driveway before hitting drive. As long as I come to complete stop before hitting drive the issue doesn't happen. If I happen to be in a rush and hit drive before I am completely stopped it will trigger a brake warning that doesn't allow me to switch driving modes until the vehicle has been reset. That basically takes it sitting overnight.

Besides those issues it has been extremely reliable. When I leased it I bought the Honda care warranty that is good for 120,000 miles. So I am covered for at least another 3 to 4 years or so in terms of major warranty concerns.

So I have decided to buy out the lease. I am actually overall very happy with it. Yes, it sucks in the winter. I do have separate rims with snow tires but that isn't the issue. The Clarity plug in just sorta sucks to drive when temps are below freezing. I am use to it now and it is only for about 3 months a year so I can deal with it. With that said I am happy with it enough the remaining 9 months of the year for my driving needs that I am going to buy it.

I am mainly posting this to ask if anyone here has put extremely high mileage on one of these yet. If so how has it been? I have the Honda Care warranty so I am not terribly concerned about unexpected repairs. I am more curious about how the battery has held up, general maintenance, etc. Whatever input you have I would appreciate. We haven't sold a lot of these cars so it isn't easy to find customers with high mileage experience. We do have one customer that drives double what I do and he is still very happy with his. I am hoping to find a few more people who have also driving a lot of miles for a bit more feed back.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate all your feedback.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. JFon101231

JFon101231 Active Member

Think there is a member over 100k but he uses mostly if not all miles on the ICE so YMMV.

I'm in CT and drive roughly the same as you, less with working remote for COVID so just hit 45k

4. Lucien Mcleod

Lucien Mcleod Member

33 is my max electric pretty disappointing gas is not full for that photo.
    Other than that zero issues

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

5. Lucien Mcleod

Lucien Mcleod Member

IMG_0931.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

JFon101231 likes this.
  6. Casey Martin

Casey Martin Active Member

Range in cold climates is drastically reduced. That is expected since the cold temperatures definitely hurt battery performance. On top of that when it is cold out you are using the rear defroster, heated seats, climate control, etc. I am happy to get between 25-30 miles on a full battery when it is below 32 degrees Fahrenheit. I have gotten over 60 miles in ideal conditions which means mainly spring/fall. That is why Honda states 47 miles on average. That is fairly close to correct except for extremely cold temperatures. When it is very cold I use HV mode all the time since that is the best way to defrost the car and produce the most heat. The Clarity plug in is definitely not an "excellent" winter car. I would give it a passing grade but just barely. With that said the remaining 9 months of the year, at least in my experience in RI, it is an excellent all around car. I can live with its limited performance in the winter.

With all that said my main point of this thread was pertaining to high mileage drivers like me.

I am curious what others have experienced as the miles add up. So far I am very happy and expect another 50k+ miles over the next two years as I have experienced the first 50k miles. Tires, brakes, filter, etc I expect. I am more concerned about other possible repairs or wear items.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. JFon101231

JFon101231 Active Member

I'm with you, passing in New England Winter (same with my Fit EV) but great rest of year.