passenger side view camera/display occasionally not working

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by ommatidia, Feb 5, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. ommatidia

ommatidia New Member

Did anybody have such a problem?
    I got a "new" Clarity PHEV a month back. Last night while I was driving in town, the display did not show anything from the camera in the passenger-side mirror. It was working before. It failed to show the view for both the right-turn signal and the button press on the stalk. It only displayed the message "objects in the mirror are closer than they appear" but the rest of the screen was blacked-out. After stopping at a store and driving back home, the display now works as usual. I checked if the camera lens was dirty or blocked but it wasn't. Could it be a software issue?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Boston_Pilot

Boston_Pilot Active Member

I wish mine didn’t work…..it’s very unsafe if you ask me. But yea, sounds like a software glitch.

4. tim

tim Member

I'm also not a fan of the side camera. I turned my off permanently. There's a setting to do that.

5. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

I've had this happen before. Had to reboot the tablet to fix it.

Disagree on that point. With the display right there, I don't have to turn my head to the right to see the mirror, and can maintain vision ahead and periphery to the left. Except for the rare occasion OP happens and the damn display doesn't work.

insightman likes this.
  6. Boston_Pilot

Feel free to disagree, but your head SHOULD be turned right when you’re intending to move a 4000 lb piece of machinery right!

PHEVDave likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. petteyg359

It should not. If my 4000 lb machinery is moving forward at 70 miles per hour, I damn well better be keeping my eyes to the front. Properly aligned mirrors, plus that camera effectively placing the right mirror inside my cone of vision make turning my head a pretty silly thing to do.

9. Intermittent problems offer special challenges, particularly over an Internet forum. It sounds like a software glitch is the most likely explanation, as turning the car off and back on again seems to have resolved the issue, for now.

If it persists you could try resetting the display screen, or the Holy Grail, disconnect the negative 12V battery cable for a brief period, 30 seconds, reattach, and wait for all the warnings to clear.

10. Boston_Pilot

Cone of vision, is that engaged when using the cone of silence?

11. rodeknyt

rodeknyt Active Member

Same here. By the time the display comes on, the lane change is already done.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. petteyg359

It averages about a second to come on for me. Most it has ever taken is 2-ish (aside from the one time I had OP's problem and it came on with a black view of nothing at all). If there's any traffic at all around you then you didn't have the blinker on nearly long enough to safely perform that lane change. If yours takes longer than that to come on, maybe you need to reboot the tablet thing so it clears up whatever background task is slowing it down.