Charging to 80% now only Charges to 79% since BMS Update

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Tim94549, Jan 6, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

Anyone else seeing this issue? Prior to the BMS Recall update, I used to charge overnight to 80% - usually resulting in around 234 Miles SOC. Since the BMS update, it now stops at 79% every time .. SOC of 227 miles ... pretty consistently.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Not my experience. Mine always charged to exactly what I asked it to.

4. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

very strange ... I definitely have my SETTINGS to 80% Charge ...

5. GeorgeS

GeorgeS Active Member

I have that issue. However if you were to charge to exactly 80% and the battery charging took place after, it could be reasonable to drop over the edge. I now charge to 90% because I want the battery check to occur every charge. My power graph shows this takes place at about 80% - 81% SOC. When I check in the morning after charging it is at 89%. This is new but does not alarm me. Maybe rounding error.

6. What's reporting 79%? Is it Bluelink or the car? I get 1% variance all the time on Bluelink. Wait 10 minutes and it's different. Differences in GOM readings are virtually meaningless since so many variables affect it.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

Both ... Consistently since the recall update.

9. When the limit is set to 80% that means just barely 80%, not a drop more. From what I've observed post-campaign 196 the BMS spends several hours doing 1/2 hourly checks subsequent to every charge or driving event. Additionally, there are 4-hourly scheduled aux battery charging events where that timing starts 4.5 hours after the start of charging.

As soon as anything draws energy off the traction battery it will kick the level down to 79%. You may not get "80%" but you can be sure you're getting 79.9%.

syntaxfx and GeorgeS like this.
  10. hieronymous

hieronymous Active Member

Whatever BMS monitoring is now occurring post campaign 196, SoC-limited charging has always stopped at a console-displayed 1% below the set level, 0.5% below for Torque Pro, both AC and DC charging, certainly as far as my Kona is concerned - from 3/19 (new) until now, no updates applied...

11. Yes, and that's certainly what the OP is seeing.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Konasu

Konasu New Member

I used to see 80% on the SOC when I set the limit at 80%. It now says 79% when I set it for 80%. However, I think this started even before the 960 campaign, definitely before the 196 campaign.

14. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

Thanks all ...

electriceddy likes this.
  15. Sue

Sue New Member

So there’s a battery check if you charge over 80? Is this confirmed by Hyundai? If so, I will do same.
    Thanks.

16. Alexstd

Alexstd New Member

Same here, I get 79% of charge when set to 80%. I tried 90% and it ends at 89%. But when set to 100% l, it goes to 100%.

17. None of this represents a problem with the Kona.