Will there be a Honda/Acura branded FCEV in the future available everywhere in North america?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by len zaifman, Nov 8, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. len zaifman

len zaifman New Member

I am looking for a new vehicle in 2026-2028 time frame. I was hoping when we purchased our 2018 Clarity plugin that FCEVs were more available. It is clear the clarity FCEV is very limited availability geographically. We are pretty happy with the plugin but I would like a car with 600-800 km range and < 5 minute refuelling.

Are either Honda or Acura looking at an FCEV passenger vehicle with wider availability? I am in Ottawa Ontario. I am hoping that Honda and Acura have people monitoring this forum and can respond. Thank you.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

No, because fuel is not available everywhere, let alone most-where or even a-little-where.

insightman, graure and JFon101231 like this.
  4. turtleturtle

turtleturtle Active Member

Do you live in an area with hydrogen fuel stations? That’s the greatest limitation. All FCEVs go to CA because LA and SF have the stations.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

5. len zaifman

len zaifman New Member

The intent is to find out when auto manufacturers think there will be higher availability of stations - their incentive will increase if that happened. I am hoping that large metro centres in Canada, pop > 500000 are planning for this in next 5-10 years. They will make the cars in greater volume only if that happenms. I have not yet heard that this distribution network is coming in Canada but it is definitely coming in Europe, at least in UK and Germany especially.

6. Would you buy a FCV if you had to pay for the fuel?

Our friends have a Mirai. It costs about $80 in fuel to go 240 miles. For $80, in many parts of the US, you can buy 40 gallons of gasoline. A Clarity will go approximately 1600 miles for $80 of fuel.

Toyota gives them a $5000/yr fuel credit to buy the hydrogen. It would be quite costly to drive that car if they didn’t.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

$80 here will buy me 47 gallons of gasoline, and practically on every street corner. Until Hydrogen reaches this price point and availability, it will remain a novelty.

9. turtleturtle

turtleturtle Active Member

You need the infrastructure first. In WA state, there have been incentives for hydrogen for years, but nobody has been willing to go first and build an H2 station.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs