Safety shutter at the outlet of charging station in North America

Discussion in 'General' started by Pioneer, Sep 30, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Pioneer

Pioneer New Member

Hi guys,

I would like to know, is a safety shutter at the outlet of charging station or wallbox mandatory or optional in North America?
    Could you please tell me the standard or regulation reference, which I can find this information?

Thanks

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. By shutter, do you mean shut off, as in a button or switch to turn off the power in case of an emergency? If so, I don't think we do, but hopefully others will chime in.

4. Pioneer

Pioneer New Member

thank you for your reply. I mean the safety shutter, you can see the links:
    http://www.mennek.es/index.php?id=latest0&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=1044&cHash=5ac1f7f021fe6f17bb7f69936a235694
    In this picture, shows Type 2 connector with safety shutter, however, North America uses Type 1. I would like to know, whether Type 1 has also safety shutter or not? or even maybe it is not allowed to have a charging outlet for Type 1 charging station in North America?

Domenick likes this.
  5. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

I know in the UK (other countries too?), the charging station has a type 2 receptacle like what you show, and each car comes with 2 cables. One is the 'granny' cable that plugs into a standard household outlet, the second is a cable that has a J1772 (type2) on both ends. For them, a shutter like what you describe makes sense if you were to place it on the charging station.

All US type 2 charging stations already have a cable with a J1772 plug on it - there is no need for a shutter, as there is no place to put it. Our cars only come with the one granny cable.

6. In the north America the cables are hardwired to the EVSE (charger) which is different from Europe. The safety shutter you are referring to is for plugging a cable into a EVSE (charger). That option does not exist in north America.

electriceddy likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. The Leafs I owned had one and was referred to as a "dust cap", but no such cap on Kona EV.

mho and Fastnf like this.
  9. Pioneer

Pioneer New Member

thank you for the information. you are right. I found the evidence to prove this information in standard SAE J1772 and IEC 62196-2.