OBD2 reader affect shifting car... U0103 code

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by 1stKonaEV, Sep 29, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I have just used an app called car scanner with an obd2 reader on my new Kona EV to read out battery temperature and current going through but last week car failed. Was able to start it but whenever I tried to move it from Park to Reverse or Drive, had a warning yellow triangle showing "have the battery system check" . After being towed, the dealer said it was a U0103 code related to the communication between the module and the "gear" button. Could have it been affected by the previous OBD2 reader I have used? or did someone went into the same issue with the car not moving? Auxiliary battery was fully charged by the way...

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

Does the problem persist after you remove your scanner and possibly reboot the
    car? If not, it's probably not your scanner, as it would need to be hooked up and
    actively sending junk into the networks to affect operation.

Some failure in the shifter module or its wiring could still cause a persistent or
    even intermittent "U" problem. Other owners have had weird network issues...

_H*

4. There is a CAN gateway to keep dongle traffic from the CAN buses to avoid what I assume that sort of trouble. Any spillage in the gear selector area perhaps? All those buttons are CAN clients.

5. Yes , the problem stayed after removing OBD2 reader. The Bluelink app was showing that the car was in good state even if I could not shift it... also what did you mean by "reboot the car"? is it restarting it with the On/Off button? because I did that many time without success..

6. Turning it off and on won't reboot the car, try disconnecting the negative 12v battery lead for 10-30 seconds.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. That would work for a lot of situations, however I did read somewhere (perhaps in the General section- the 2nd post has been moved somewhere) that the issue was resolved by eliminating the error code with the dealers diagnostic equipment.
    Edit...Found it, it was in a PM, anyway... 1stKonaEV mentioned to me (before posting) that the issue was cleared up by the dealer "cleared the code and repaired a loose connection - presumable Can bus related.