Range of 2019 Kona Electric

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by George Davidson, Sep 29, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. George Davidson

George Davidson Active Member

I have got Kona EV 2019. In severe winter the range is around 250km on a full charge vs 370km in summer.

This morning the range was 270km at 80% charge.

After 18 months I have got 105,000km on odometer. I think the battery is degrading more than 10% a year.

I was in the dealership to have the battery checked. Nothing found.

I would welcome experience and thoughts from other owner of Kona EVs.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. SouthernDude

SouthernDude Active Member

In general, all estimated ranges displayed by an EV are based on past previous trip estimates. If the last few trips you made in your Kona were in less efficient driving conditions (say driving on the interstate for a trip or something), then the estimated range decreases after you charge the car and start it up the next time. You'll need to check the battery health to really see how your battery is. I don't own a kona, so I can't tell you how to do that. I'll ask Domenick to move your thread to the Kona section where any Kona owner can help you figure out what's going on.

@Domenick This thread should probably be moved to the Kona section

4. doggyworld

doggyworld Active Member

What's your avg km/kwh or mi/kwh? That will help you calculate what your real usable battery is rather than just the GOM.

Congrats on 105,000 km! I think you're the highest mileage Kona EV I've heard of! And I thought my wife's 35k miles per year were excessive! :)

5. persianrider

persianrider Member

on a full charge with my 2021 with 1000km, it shows 500km range, keep in mind though my driving is traffic in morning, traffic at night ....lots of stop/go and a good 15km of 100-110km/h driving (50km/day)

no AC/heating so far, but I did turn on the heating one day and I lost about 12% range instead of my typical 10%

@80% it shows 400-415km btw

It all depends on your driving habits as well, if you're doing highway only and drive 120-130km/h with AC/Heat blasting ... it's quite normal that your range is lower

that said i'll be following this thread to hear what the more senior Kona owners have to say since I'd like to know what their take is on your situation for future reference on my own range/battery

6. Don't take the garage report. Buy an obd2 connector, plug it in and check with an app like evnotify, torque etc.

electriceddy likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Andy Swarbrick likes this.
  9. hieronymous

hieronymous Active Member

I’ve read your previous posts as well as this one, and I don’t think for a second that your Kona has any degradation at all.
    It sounds like you have used the car extensively for demanding commuting from new, without any extended period of typical urban driving i.e. several weeks. It takes that long for the car to adjust to an economical pattern. Instead it has spent its life at highway speeds, mostly with heating or cooling, so the numbers it gives always reflect that load, which is heavy. Your winter conditions require snow tires no doubt, which also significantly kill your economy. In short, you haven’t given your car a chance to show how economical it can be, so you can’t make any comparisons.
    In case you don’t know, EV’s battery limitations mean they react much more to adverse environmental conditions than ICE cars do. In addition, ICE’s have a power curve which makes them most efficient on the highway but slugs in town - EV’s are the opposite.
    On a recent winter trip here, the first leg of 180km used 43% SoC. The second leg was 120km, but climbed 700m, the temperature dropped to 4C, and there was enough of a wind to buffet the car a little - that took another 44% SoC, equivalent to about a 280km range at full charge. In your winter, that is your normal.
    On the SpeakEV forum, @stageshoot’s Kona has been driven further than yours in less time, motorway running and frequent QC’ing. Hyundai engineers told him there is no sign of any battery degradation at all.
    EV battery degradation has been clearly linked only to repeated exposure to excessive heat, and to calendar ageing, by which is meant over many years. Additionally, the Kona capacity is nominally 64kWh, but it is widely agreed that it has been engineered to provide a minimum of 64, and is typically 66-67 at new. Any capacity display will stay at 100% until that top excess is gone, several years hence.

You don’t have battery degradation, you just have very uneconomical driving requirements, and perhaps an EV wasn’t the best choice of transport...

ElectricArt and Andy Swarbrick like this.
  10. GeorgeS

GeorgeS Active Member

You really haven't given us enough information to indicate any battery degradation. Was the range your referring to from the Guess-O-Meter (GOM) or actually
    driving from 80% charge? What was the actual temperature outside? Have you changed any tires (can make a bid difference)? Do you fast charge a lot or mostly slow charge at home?

If these are from the GOM (the range number in the middle of your speedometer), they are taken from your average driving habits and projected for your use. They are not in anyway a measure of your range. It is just a guess. It is difficult to gauge your actual mileage. It is more meaningful to measure your average energy consumption as reported by the car. I use miles per kilowatt. In your case I believe it is kilowatts per 100 kilometers. This is reported in your computer readings for you. Keep track of these for specific drives where you can start and stop at specific locations and start with a specific charge like 80% to 20%. This will be a better gauge of energy than the GOM. With 105,000km you really shouldn't see any degradation yet.

As stated by several people in this stream, you can get Torque Pro software for an android and a bluetooth dongle, set it all up which I have done on my 2019 Kona EV Ultimate and read the actual SOC of every battery of your high voltage system. If you are technical or want to learn how this all works it is possible to compute your battery degradation.

11. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

As other's said, the GoM range is not an indication of your battery condition but of recent driving history. If I go on a long high speed road trip with the heater on, my average energy consumption will be high and when I charge to 100% after such trip, I may see 40% less range than if you drive without heater or AC at slow speeds around town for 500 km.. The Kona's GoM works completely different than Teslas.. Tesla will always show you the same range.. Range will drop with degradation. On the Kona, it's not that simple. I use Torque Pro and an OBD2 dongle to keep track of my battery.. The best indicator to look for issues is bigger differences in Cell voltages. I have never seen more than 0.02 volt difference between cells and most of the time, they are in sync.. I'm just over 37k miles and my 100% range is approx. 320+ miles... 512 km but I have not used too much AC lately and drove mostly around town.. If I'd go on a high speed road trip, my 100% range may drop to 250 miles/400km or less..

GeorgeS likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. CharlyM

CharlyM Member

What tires do you have on the car ?

14. persianrider

persianrider Member

Unless he’s running with flintstone tires.... his range “issue” isn’t because of tires...