evse recommendations?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by KeninFL, Jun 13, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Toi

Toi Well-Known Member

Good call going with the outdoor 14-50 route so you can upgrade/move easily.

GDOG likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Is there any way (or can you make a way) to lock the weather-proof socket cover?

4. Toi

Toi Well-Known Member

5. GDOG

GDOG Member

Yes, if you look closely at the picture my cover has a padlock on it.

Toi likes this.
  6. insightman

Ah, yes, I missed the 2 pixels shining from the top of the lock. Good thinking!

upload_2020-9-3_20-41-52.png

GDOG and Toi like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Got my Level 2 EVSE today! Electrician comes to install 240V circuit early next week, might need to be converted to hardwired. Once it's in place I'll feel more free to drive the SE all over since I will be able to recharge relatively quickly.

Grizzl-E EVSE.jpeg

9. SKnight25

SKnight25 New Member

If you are in the USA, just a reminder that you can get 30% back through tax credits on a level 2 charger install (equipment and install cost) if completed by the end of December 2020. It's retroactive, so it applies if you installed as far back as 2017 as well

MichaelC, Toi and insightman like this.
  10. insightman

I'm sure you've already read the Owner's Manual, but make sure your electrician installs at least a 40-Amp breaker if you want to use your EVSE at the 32-Amp level that will fully satisfy your SE's 7.4 kW thirst.

In the UK, public EVSEs connected to 3-phase AC can pump 11 kW into the SE, but my "future-proofed" single-phase 48-Amp/11 kW ClipperCreek EVSE can't charge my SE any faster than the 7.4 kW a 32-Amp EVSE can. In addition to over-spending, I ended up with a very thick, unwieldy 48-Amp charging cable. On the plus side, the giant relay in my really big (mostly empty) EVSE makes a very satisfying THUNK when I plug in the charging cable. To our MINI Cooper's disappointment, our Clarity Plug-In Hybrid called dibs on our 1-car garage 3 years ago (and posted a sign to ensure there was no confusion).

[​IMG]

bldxyz and Toi like this.
  11. Toi

Toi Well-Known Member

A overarching motto in my life: 'no kill like overkill...' second to that would be 'it's better to be looking at it, than looking for it.'

I don't think overbuying on the charger is a waste at all, and if anything, by running something at less than it's max, you tend to build in a bit more reliability.

F14Scott and insightman like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Miniev1

Miniev1 New Member

Ordered one of those.
    Should arrive tomorrow.
    Having it installed Friday.

GDOG likes this.
  14. GDOG

GDOG Member

Works great, looks great, no complaints.

15. Miniev1

Miniev1 New Member

Thanks.
    Good to know.
    The quick start guide mentions a remote control but there wasn't any in the box.

16. GDOG

GDOG Member

I don't recall seeing that mentioned, no remote for me either.

17. Miniev1

Miniev1 New Member

They do have a more expensive wifi enabled model.
    Guess the quick start guide is meant for both the models.

GDOG likes this.
  18. Puppethead

Level 2 EVSE is up and running, the major electrical upgrade was worth it. Hardwired 7.7kW EVSE (32A on a 40A circuit) in addition to a 50A 14-50 outlet elsewhere.

I feel free to drive now, since I can get a full charge in a couple of hours instead of the 12+ it takes with Level 1 charging. No more being stuck in Green mode!

Grizzl-E Charging.JPG

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
    AndGuz, insightman, GDOG and 4 others like this.
  19. MichaelC

MichaelC Well-Known Member

@Puppethead - What drove the decision to convert your EVSE to a hard-wired installation?

20. Puppethead

Electrical codes, my state requires GFCI on all 240V outlets. EVSEs all have their own GFCI and generally don't work on a protected circuit, so the only way to pass inspection was go hardwired. I don't consider it a big issue, it's easy enough to disconnect from the wiring.

I briefly considered looking at OpenEVSE to see if I could build my own without internal GFCI protection, but decided I wanted to be up and charging as soon as possible. I also chose the Grizzl-E largely because of the cold weather tolerance, -20ºF is normal for our winters.

21. MichaelC

MichaelC Well-Known Member

Okay, that's what I suspected. Thanks!

Kansas only requires compliance to the 2008 NEC spec, which pre-dates the GFCI requirement (introduced in 2017 NEC, I believe). When I had an electrician out to quote installation of a NEMA 14-50 socket in my garage (and add/repair a couple 120V sockets), it sounded like he wanted to GFCI all the things. Looking at the quote, it only specifies GFCI on the 120V sockets; I'll make sure we discuss the 240V socket and whether or not he plans to install a GFCI for that circuit. If he does, I'll share my concern about nuisance GFCI trips due to double-protection with the EVSE plugged in.

22. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

I am slowly coming up to speed on what it will take to become a Mini Cooper SE owner. I am grateful to this forum for assisting my armchair research. It sounds like if I -

A) Get a 50 amp circuit installed in my garage with a NEMA 6-50 or 14-50 outlet, then I can...

B) Purchase a 40 or 50 amp level 2 pluggable wall mount charger, which, using the PLUG and not hard-wired, would provide up to 40 amps. And the Mini needs 32 amps of that capacity. (To future proof for a Tesla down the road, I would instead install a 60-amp circuit)

C) I also need to question the electrician about whether a GFCI will be required on the circuit, which could potentially cause issues with the charging unit GFCI.

Questions:
    1) Is anyone using either the Chargepoint Home Flex or the Juicebox 40? Those are both UL listed and energy star. Some of the Amazon reviews on the Juicebox scare me a bit. Between the two I would lean toward Chargepoint so far. I do prefer a WiFi connected unit.

2) The main potential out of town trip we would want to make with the Mini would be 90 miles from Greenville, SC, to Columbia, SC, to the mother-in-law’s house. EDIT: it’s 90 miles each way. (We do have gas cars that can handle the trip - the Mini would just be more fun) The current network of fast charging stations looks pretty spotty in the Columbia area. I was wondering if I could get a circuit installed in her garage and take my level 2 charger with me to charge up there. Has anyone else done this with two residences?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
    GDOG likes this.
  23. Toi

Toi Well-Known Member

As long as you have the plug you need with the capacity required, you can 'take' your charger anywhere. Or, you could just get a smaller 'portable' charger with you that uses the same plug but doesn't mount on the wall that perhaps only has the 32a capacity that the mini requires. Either way, your probably good with 90 miles (there's a range thread going on as well that reports usable and expected range well in excess of 90 miles in one go)

GvilleGuy likes this.