I test drove the Mini SE today (first time EV driver)

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by GvilleGuy, Sep 22, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

I have been reading lots of threads on this forum researching my first EV purchase - hopefully coming up in early 2021. Thanks for all of the great information.

I texted my local Mini dealer yesterday asking if they had any SEs available for a test drive. I was not expecting the ‘yes, we do’ reply! They had one. I went this afternoon. I have never driven an EV before, so this was my first experience.

Impressions:
    • My salesman said they have only sold two SEs in 2020 (because the dealership has trouble getting any), and he has ordered one from the factory. So not a lot of experience. They only had the test drive model because a customer ordered it and then changed their mind about buying it.
    • It was the top level trim, red with white roof and white side mirrors.
    • I loved the interior fit and finish, how it smothered the road in turns, the one-pedal driving, and the power!! The sales guy said “floor it” when I entered the interstate entrance ramp, and after my brain recovered from the flood of acceleration, I looked down and was going 83 before even getting off the ramp!
    • The salesman said 6 to 8 weeks to get one from the factory. I am skeptical of that number after reading about many of you waiting longer.
    The Mini is probably going to be the only EV on my list with its sporty fun and the tax credit incentive.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Today, I visited Motor City MINI, the largest of the 2 remaining MINI dealers in Michigan (mine closed the day I received my SE). They've delivered 11 MINI Cooper SEs. The SE they ordered this week is expected in mid-February.

A Model 3 is quicker than the SE and a Bolt is just as quick as the SE, but neither one of them competes in the sporty, compact BEV segment because there is only one car in that segment. If I was your salesman, I'd have taken you to an expressway on-ramp connected to a round-about and have you do a full lap of the round-about before attacking the on-ramp. I love round-abouts in my SE!

KeninFL and MichaelC like this.
  4. KeninFL

KeninFL Member

If you ever considered a Mini ice then the SE will not surprise or disappoint you. It is a Mini, just w/an electric motor.
    If you are considering other bev's in Mini's price range, the Mini as a total package is hard to beat --- if you can live w/its range.

insightman likes this.
  5. Rich M.

Rich M. New Member

Good Lord... A five month lead time? This really gives me pause about pulling the trigger on an order.

6. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I waited 11 months and 2 weeks after placing my order and I think it was worth the wait. However, if you're diligent, you can find dealers in the US that have MINI Cooper SEs for sale now.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Miniev1

Miniev1 New Member

You can't beat Mini on one thing.
    Fun Factor :) !

insightman likes this.