Tapping or Creaking Noise when coasting at low speed

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by wizziwig, Jun 8, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

Do you hear the same noise?

1. Yes, I hear the same noise

60 vote(s)
    69.8%
  2. No, I don't hear the noise

26 vote(s)
    30.2%
  1. I took my 2019 Niro EV to West Hills Kia in Bremerton, WA today. The Service Technician heard the noise and documented it. He said they would report it to Corporate and get guidance for next steps. I think it helped that I had a recording of the noise. I'll post an update when I hear back from the dealership.

Andrew Le and electriceddy like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. FergyEV

FergyEV New Member

So Kia has agreed to pick my car up and transport it for service for the tapping sound. Looks like they will be sending it to some place in Texas rather than back to Chicago.

4. bubzki

bubzki Member

Sorry, was Chicago (Schaumburg) dealer unable to fix your car? My Niro is currently at that dealer and they are trying to tell me it's a wheel bearing sound -- on a car with 850 miles on it... PS KIA has offered to buy my car back or settle for $7500 and keep it. I am waiting to make sure it's actually fixed before accepting any offers. Car has been out for nearly two months now.

5. Andrew Le

Andrew Le New Member

I'm starting to hear this noise in my Kia Niro EV 2019, nearby in Seattle... I'm not sure what to do now.. I'll wait for your updates from that Kia in Bremerton...

6. VipercanF56

VipercanF56 New Member

Having the same problem with my Niro.

Took it into the dealership and they confirmed that there was a problem.

They dismantled the drive unit and discovered that all the oil inside was pitch black which is completely out of the ordinary.

The dealership has ordered in a replacement to swap it out, just not sure how long it will take before it arrives.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. I'll post an update soon. I'm calling them tomorrow since they haven't called me yet.

Andrew Le likes this.
  9. Lektrons

Lektrons Active Member

Eventually, my motor was replaced, the sound is gone. KIA knows about the issue. They made the tech eliminate other things it could be so they just don't go replacing motors as they are expensive.

Dealers should all know about this by now if they sell EV's.

10. Lektrons

Lektrons Active Member

My vehicle is the same year as yours and they first told me the same thing, I have about 30K on my vehicle at the time, they called it a transmission. I asked several times about it and they said oh we changed the fluid, I'm going to have them check at 40-60k. I wonder if there is a way we can check ourselves, has anyone looked for a dip stick?

11. Andrew Le

Andrew Le New Member

This noise happens from a stop to a go situation.. and sometimes I can hear it clearly for a few seconds, and sometimes I dont hear it at all (intermittent)... so not sure what to make of this and how severe of a problem it is... if all it is is a noise/sound issue, I am okay to ignore it I guess...

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Andrew Le

Andrew Le New Member

How long did it take to replace the motor? Was it a few hours, or you had to leave the car at dealer for overnight or longer?

14. bubzki

bubzki Member

I'm also curious what the lead time is on getting a replacement motor to the dealership. Mine is still sitting in Chicago and they tried everything, even said it was a wheel bearing, before finally admitting it was a bearing in the drive motor. Now I have a buyback letter in hand, but still hoping they can fix my car sometime this lifetime. Kia customer support continues to be infuriatingly abysmal. I had to switch rental cars since I'd had mine over a month, and I can't get anyone at Kia to claim the bill, so now I'm out over $1k at least until I can get them to cut me a check. Absolute nightmare of a company.

15. mf989

mf989 Member

Kia bought my Niro EV for this motor issue earlier this year, but I morbidly keep reading forums like this and facebook user groups watching the reports of this issue roll in for both Kia and Kona. I am dumbfounded by how this issue persists and the pervasiveness of it given the number of reports, yet I see no press and no actual remedy in sight. I personally refuse to buy another Kia or Hyundai EV until there is evidence of a change. Why hasn't this gotten more exposure? A consumer reports article? Why not an inside-EV blog post? Does Kia and Hyundai pay for advertising here or something?

16. Lektrons

Lektrons Active Member

Got a courtesy car and was ready next day.

Sent from my M2007J1SC using Tapatalk

electriceddy likes this.
  17. bubzki

bubzki Member

Still really hard to know how widespread the inherently flawed design really is. Of course when you hear a noise you might search for others hearing the sounds, bringing you to this thread. On the other hand, I would surmise a large percentage of Niro/Kona owners are first time BEV owners, and might think these sounds are just normal and maybe haven't sought to have it diagnosed -- at least yet. I'm glad they superseded the motor part, but they should at very least have issued a no-nonsense TSB by now.

18. Like with the 600,000 Kia and Hyundai's that all catch fire? They actually say you're not supposed to park them in a garage.

19. Kia Guy

Kia Guy Active Member

What is this about?

20. I haven't read details, just saw the headlines.
    But apparently they can catch fire and your not supposed to park them in a garage until fixed.

21. Kia Guy

Kia Guy Active Member

Can you show me an example? This is alarming.