Has Anyone Returned Clarity BEV Yet?

Discussion in 'Honda' started by cedman77, Feb 6, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. That's a nice, flexible arrangement.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. moobutma

moobutma New Member

Just scheduled my SGS appointment for November. Lease end date is in Dec. I will update this thread once I go through the process.

4. coolblue

coolblue New Member

I called Honda lease Maturity for a early return for my Clarity BEV( I'm in CA and 4 months away from lease maturity) and I was told that I'm responsible for all the payments( as its a contract and leasing person is obligated for the full term) till maturity even if I wan to turn in car early.

So seems like we may be getting conflicting answers on early returns.

One thing that is confirmed is that they are offering 12 months extension on same terms on a month to month basis. So whoever wants to extend, it's a good news.

5. legend

legend New Member

Hello, have you gone thru the inspection? Have they required anything that needs to be done? Were you able to turn the car in?
    Thanks
    newbee

6. cedman77

cedman77 New Member

Yes, I completed the inspection with SGS a few weeks ago. Met the gentlemen at my work. He went through the car, and emailed me a report that I am supposed to bring to the dealer. I'm scheduled to return our car next Tuesday.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. legend

legend New Member

Will they make you pay for anything additional like excessive wear and tear. When I called my dealership they told me they are sending the cars back to Honda but that we have to complete any repairs prior to return. Also that even though I have one month left it has to be paid in full. Just curious if they tagged any repairs on your inspection or not.

Thank you for your response

9. cedman77

cedman77 New Member

He noted some minor minor dings and scratches but nothing major. He said those things we're all within specs, nothing was noted for me to repair. The SGS inspector said we have a credit of $500 that can be used for repairs if need be. I had to replace the tires at 33000 miles since there were getting bald. My wife and I were expecting to put more miles on the lease, then COVID happened. Guess they're getting the car back with a pretty decent set of tires left.

10. legend

legend New Member

Okay thanks for the info. I was supposed to have inspection today but had to cancel due to work. I have about 25k and the tires are almost down to the wearbars. My turn in date is 12/22, so I guess that gives me time to replace the tires even though I don't want to. Hopefully inspector is nice with my car. Thanks for the info. I'll update here when I have the inspection and turn it in.

Thanks again

11. cedman77

cedman77 New Member

Right now, I have 42,729. The SGS guy said you can drive another 1500miles after his inspection. If you drive more than that, you have to schedule another inspection. The guy that came was cool dude. We chatted about EV's and how he used to for for Fiat. Told him before the Clarity, we had leased a Fiat 500e. I know a lot of people crapped on the 500e, but I loved that car. Never had any issues with it. You are about 5weeks away. Maybe you can get away with the existing tires.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. moobutma

moobutma New Member

Just completed the inspection today and actually returned it today as well. I had a DRL light that was cracked from a damage earlier and refinished the rims for curb damage. I'm looking to pay about $200 in fees after the damage waiver. 47K mile mark and overall fun experience with this car He did note normal scratches and paint chips but was not included in damages. My original lease end date was 12/12/20 but i figure saving on insurance helps offset the damage cost and covid has reduced my mileage recently. time to play with my PHEV Clarity now!

14. cedman77

cedman77 New Member

Did you just return your car today at Buena Park Honda? I just returned mine today, and the sales manager mentioned that someone just return theirs today as well. Oh you got a PHEV Clarity? How do you like it? How knows, if my wife ever goes back into the office, we will be in market for another car.

15. moobutma

moobutma New Member

Oh shoot! such a small world. We were talking about you when I returned my lease. My PHEV is good. Not use to the engine noise kicking in when I deplete my electricity. PHEV is heavier feeling and slower on the acceleration. I got a really good deal on this car so had to buy.

16. legend

legend New Member

https://www.tiktok.com/@edgar.chupadita/video/6906159797272333573?sender_device=mobile&sender_web_id=6901076289269958150&is_from_webapp=1

This being said... I've got the car inspected and they found tires need to be changed plus bumper damages which was an unfortunate surprise. Knew about the tires.. They said $1200 for tires. I went ahead and changed them as they said I could get used ones. I returned it last Friday and now I see this article... Makes me wonder did I really need to get the tires changed?

17. moobutma

moobutma New Member

Got the lease end charges in. So SGS Estimated $740 for damages so I was expecting to pay $240 but received good news that HFS waived the additional amount.

I just saw the Tik-Tok and those are a mix of EV and Fuel Cell...makes me wonder about the tires replacement as well. I pulled tires from my 19 PHEV when they hit 18K tho so I would like to know if HFS is waiving every wear and tear item like balding tires. I wore the tires down to 1/32 before replacing:) dangerous, i know.

Attached Files:

18. legend

legend New Member

Same here. My wear was 1/32 as well and was quoted by sgs 1407 for repairs. 1200 was tires.. When I talked to Honda financial they had said at that time to install used tires and submit the receipt when the car is turned in and they will deduct the $1200 tires replacement charge. If they are junking the cars then why the inspection at all. They should allow for simple returns

19. legend

legend New Member

Hopefully Honda financial does something when they close the lease/ground the vehicle

20. Swmmy

Swmmy New Member

what are the requirements for tires upon return? I’m returning in September but will need new tires soon. Wondering when i should swap tires so I only have to change once.

21. I bought some used tires, the cheapest ones with 4/32 tread for $100 for four. I did not have to pay anything upon turning it in.
    Sent from my SM-G973U using Inside EVs mobile app

22. Here's my SGS inspection, didn't pay anything upon vehicle return. 20210115_164725.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Inside EVs mobile app