Clunking Vibration type sound

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by blakehaas, Oct 22, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. If its any consolation, if its the typical noise mentioned in this thread it will get worse and sooner or later your dealer will have a hard time claiming its normal.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. It is quite distinct particularity at 29 seconds of the first recording, hopefully this one
    https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipP5ExjFvR3AsgCOhFrVQjYch_D_g5O8_je6Vzyhjhk_6WLOlGcHIXkLggNYA7_Q0A/photo/AF1QipOv0igLKUzQb3bgbP3Kpzs4ObPiBwAamWKW-84?key=U2U0akYxZ1RkUmxGcXQ2UFZEbUNYQ09EaVE3MUVB
    With the VESS off, the same sound should be heard coming from the front central floor area at low speed (around 15 km/hr). I most notice mine when backing out of the driveway (pretty much consistently lately with warm temperatures) and expect it will develop once again while in "D" at around that speed once the cooler temps set in.

4. Yeah, that definitely sounds like it. But he should be able to hear it from inside the cabin as well.

This is the sound to have the techs listen to. The other ones might just be other noises that could be normal.

5. I got some more recordings and added them to that album. The clicking is pretty clear in them and they're from the cabin. Do those sound like what you were having?

6. I don't hear anything in these latest ones. The one that was the best is first one that electriceddy referenced.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. VanGoghsEar

VanGoghsEar Member

Add one more to this list. My 2019 Ultimate has the same issue. It started at around 4000K and got progressively louder. Today my local Hyundai service manager confirmed it after I took him for a drive. He said it will likely require a complete drive-train replacement (Motor and reduction gear) and that Hyundai Canada is aware of this issue. It's going back to the dealer tomorrow and I will post an update here when it has been fixed.

navguy12, apu and electriceddy like this.
  9. doggyworld

doggyworld Active Member

Is this something that shows up early on in mileage? Mine is at 24k miles and I haven't noticed any type of clunking sound.

10. I look forward to that update probably as much as you do with repairing the issue, thanks for posting.

navguy12 likes this.
  11. To remove this ad click here.

12. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

Been away from the forums a bit, driving computers far more than I've been driving the Kona...

It's still surprising that H/K hasn't come up with a real diagnosis after all this time,, and is still blindly
    parts-swapping when compelled to make good. Someone mentioned Sandy Munro a while back,
    and there was a thing on Charged about his new "10-motor comparo" report today ... and guess
    which manufacturer is *still* notably absent from any of his work.

So today I reached out to him at Leandesign, on a recommendation to do so by whoever
    answered the phone there, described the problem, and asked if there was any H/K in the
    pipeline since it's certainly a nontrivial market player. I don't really expect any meaningful
    reply since I'm just some peon who doesn't know anything, but it felt nice to try.

I have heard just the barest hint of the tapping in my own car once or twice, only when still
    in regen near the end of a downhill stop and moving very slowly in a quiet area. I'm not
    particularly worried yet, but will remain very attuned to what's going on under there.

_H*

navguy12 and electriceddy like this.
  13. Can't hurt to ask;)
    What is your current mileage?

14. I always watch Munro Associates videos but I believe uncovering this problem is outside Sandy's expertise as a tooling and production engineer. This other video shows the Model 3 motor disassembly and you can see how the motor has no dedicated bearing on its output end, rather using the nearby pinion bearing for radial support. The section with the spiral oiling grooves is intended to locate precisely inside the pinion shaft while obviously the splines transfer the torque. This design gets around the over-constrained problem that the H-K design unfortunately dives into head first. The be fair however, I believe Tesla had problems in this area with their early Roadster design and learned the hard way.

upload_2020-9-9_15-9-50.png

navguy12 and Shawn X like this.
  15. Shawn X

Shawn X New Member

I'm no expert, but that sounds like it. Does it make a motorcycle/helicopter sound around 35-50 mph?

Mine makes both the fast ticking at low speeds (around 3 ticks/sec around 10mph) and the motorcycle sound at high speeds. It developed the motorcycle sound first and I bought it to the dealer shortly afterwards. They said it's standard axle noise, which is bs because it never heard that noise in the first 3000ish miles. I didn't know enough so I didn't argue with the technician at the dealership. I heard the ticking sound at slow speeds around two weeks later. However, I moved since then and the nearest dealer that works on the Niro EV is over 100 miles away. I couldn't reproduce the sound after driving the car for that long distance.

16. Yup it makes both of those noises, though I'd say it sounds more like an impact drill or a ripple strip at higher speeds.

I'm going into another dealer tomorrow morning.

17. VanGoghsEar

VanGoghsEar Member

Got a call from my local Hyundai service desk and I was told that my car need repairs and they needed to order parts. I ask what parts specifically and was told it is the reduction gear assembly and the parts are on back order with no definitive ETA. A short while later I spoke to the service manager and he said that according to Hyundai they needed to apply a specific type of lubricant to the motor/reduction gear assembly and that should fix the incessant clicking.

The service manager said Hyundai issued a TSB for this specific problem and then explained that Hyundai will only authorize the release of a $10K traction motor (he mentioned several times the motor was $10K) if the lubrication or reduction gear replacement fails to remedy the issue. Reading about others who experienced the same issue, I am not very optimistic that lubrication is the solution. Now I have to wait for the lubricant to arrive and be applied and then confirm a fix/no-fix before they will replace the reduction gear assembly and then hope that fixes the issue. Only if all of the above fails will Hyundai authorize the traction motor replacement.

I will continue to post updates as I get them.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
    apu and navguy12 like this.
  18. That is a new one, first mention of a "special lubricant". I wonder how long that will hold up before the motor is eventually replaced?
    Looked in Auto Repair Source database and could find nothing on this new procedure.

19. I suspect they're referring to the grease applied to the splines on assembly.

upload_2020-9-10_10-34-2.png

electriceddy likes this.
  20. VanGoghsEar

VanGoghsEar Member

Agreed.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

21. It sounds like they are going to do the infamous 180 degree drive shaft rotation and grease application. It might help, in my case it made it worse.

electriceddy and VanGoghsEar like this.
  22. navguy12

navguy12 Well-Known Member

Passive observer with a random observation:

When I first got my TM3 and took things apart "to have a look", I was suprised to find a spin on oil filter (for the transaxle oil) attached to the drive motor housing.

There is no call to change this filter, ever.

I must assume Tesla put it there to collect any contaminants that may find their way into the system during assembly and/or the first few 1000 kms of use.

I have to wonder if Hyundai should have installed a similar oil filter...