Delivery Stories

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by insightman, Feb 27, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

You're so good at this, I'm surprised you haven't found a way to schedule your car's loading and departure. "Cap'n! Why are we leaving port with only a single car--a little MINI Cooper--in the hold?"

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. KeninFL

KeninFL Member

I hope it does. Hang in there. It has to be soon.

4. MichaelC

MichaelC Well-Known Member

LOL! If only I had such l337 h4x0r skillz!

Alas, it's still at the port. Looks like my next chance will be either the WW vessel TORRENS on 14 August or the K Line vessel APPOLON HIGHWAY on 16 August (unless they surprise me and use a different carrier like they did with insightman's SE).

5. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Just got word from my advisor, my SE has been dropped off at the dealer. Looks like I'll be driving it in less than 48 hours.

Domenick, Norbu72, F14Scott and 4 others like this.
  6. Toi

Toi Well-Known Member

Congrats!

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. insightman

Forty-eight hours!?! Is this the first SE your dealer has delivered? Does every employee get to take it for a spin before they let you have it? "Oh, Mr. Puppethead, we're performing slow-charge/fast-discharge testing to be certain the battery is up to snuff before you take your SE away."

I need to find out how MINI service facilities evaluate the SE's battery capacity for warranty purposes. Because my SE was sitting around so long in Southampton with an unknown state-of-charge, I want to get some kind of as-delivered baseline value. For my Clarity Plug-In Hybrid, Honda service facilities have a computer they use to perform a Battery Capacity Check which determines the number of Amp-hours the battery can store.

9. MichaelC

Congrats on your impending delivery, @Puppethead! (And good luck getting any sleep now - heh!)

10. Puppethead

The dealer did say it takes them a day to "wake up" from shipping, I'm sure they're going over it and making sure everything is spot on. It didn't get dropped off until late evening.

Also, I'm expecting a couple of hours of paperwork and prepping as part of the purchase process, plus my schedule prevents me from rushing over there first thing in the morning.

And I doubt I'll get much sleep, the closer it got the more anticipation I've felt. And irony of ironies, I literally drive right by the dealer on my trip to work. Tempted to stop in to look at it a day early...

Toi, MichaelC and insightman like this.
  11. MichaelC

I'm curious what that means...

I definitely would!

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. insightman

It won't be there. "Mr. Puppethead, your car is out for more 'wake-up' conditioning. When it was my turn, it seemed to be waking up very nicely."

14. Puppethead

This is surprising, and yet somehow not.

Just informed by my advisor of a sales stop due to a recall notice, so no car for me until the fix is completed.
    This is the recall (posted by someone else):

upload_2020-8-12_10-23-9.jpeg

(I'm curious how to access that recall info.)

15. insightman

You are so prescient not to be surprised. I forwarded your notice to my Sales Advisor to see what she can tell me about it.

Bosun on the Grand Hero, "Cap'n! Cap'n! That little MINI on deck 11 blew up and it's melting all the BMWs around it! Abandon ship!"

16. KeninFL

KeninFL Member

It would be really really helpful knowing how many SE's this recall involves. As in VIN ______ to VIN ______ . Anyone here adept at getting this info?

17. insightman

My Service Advisor replied that the stop-sale is not limited to the BEV:
    > Yes, it looks like your vehicle along with the Clubman I had
    > ordered and an Oxford I have sitting at the port is hit with
    > this. I do not know what this means. I am awaiting info
    > from my area sales mgr.

18. Longtime MINI owner here. 2006 and still a great car.

I know some of you dislike the yellow highlights on the car but we like the subtle difference. When we ordered our MINI Signature Plus we were told only the Iconic came with that feature. Yet all the marketing material and order pamphlet shows these features on the Signature (base model). Mini of Marin told us there wasn’t an option in the computer for the Sig + even though the website info says “Includes everything from Signature Trim”. I wrote to MINI USA and they said there was an extra charge for the yellow mirror caps and grille blade. I asked them to escalate this as I feel this is false advertising. We have’t heard back from the “Mini case manager” as was promised. The car arrived at the dealer Monday and we are picking it up and test driving Saturday. We have the option to decline the car and was not offered a test drive when they had a car in February. (Paid the deposit in December) Ordered the silver with black top in March. The salesman said we are getting the black mirror caps but they can paint them for a fee.

Has anyone had a similar experience with the Signature +?

19. insightman

Unless things changed since I ordered my MINI Cooper SE, the Energetic Yellow grille "blade" and mirror caps are available with all trim levels, but not on Chili Red or British Racing Green cars, no matter what trim level. The Power Spoke wheels can be ordered only with the Iconic trim, but a customer at my local dealership ordered them separately for his Signature Plus SE.

MINI doesn't make it easy for a dealer to order these cars. My order confirmation looks like I'm getting BOTH black and Energetic Yellow mirror caps. Your dealer should check with the area sales manager.

20. Maybe check the NHTSA website:
    https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2020/MINI/COOPER#recalls
    Might just be a simple item. Also I check service campaigns using this tool:
    https://virl.bc.ca/eresources/autorepairsource/
    and usually have more details than the dealer has on their shop computer, a library near your area might have access to this.

MichaelC likes this.
  21. insightman

Thanks @electriceddy!

Entering my SE's VIN didn't reveal any recalls that the NHTSA knows about: "0 Unrepaired Recalls associated with this VIN."

My library won't let me any further inside than about 10 feet, where requested books are laying on a table.

22. Unfortunately the NHTSA site reports recalls but nothing in the way of "service campaigns" steering more toward safety issues.
    When I found out about the EBSCO resource (in my case Auto Repair Source) :
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EBSCO_Information_Services
    I applied online for a library card, and have not needed to actually enter any building as all the information is provided by the library online.
    The best thing about the site is that it does indeed list current "service campaigns" unlike the above mentioned NHTSA.;)

insightman likes this.
  23. Toi

Toi Well-Known Member

insightman - looks like your ship made it to baltimore... now... we wait... :)

insightman likes this.